1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wronskian to determine lin.ind. of solutions to a system of ODEs

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In my book, I'm given that ##\vec{x}_1=\left(\begin{matrix}t^2\\t\end{matrix}\right), \vec{x}_2=\left(\begin{matrix}0\\1+t\end{matrix}\right), \vec{x}_3=\left(\begin{matrix}-t^2\\1\end{matrix}\right)## are solutions. My textbook presents an algebraic way to show that the vectors are linear independent, but I was hoping to see if I can use the Wronskian to show the same result.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought this was how the Wronskian would look:
    ##W\left(\vec{x}_1, \vec{x}_2, \vec{x}_3\right)=

\left|\begin{matrix}

\left(\begin{matrix}t^2\\1\end{matrix}\right) & \left(\begin{matrix}0\\1+t\end{matrix}\right) & \left(\begin{matrix}-t^2\\1\end{matrix}\right)\\

\left(\begin{matrix}2t\\0\end{matrix}\right) & \left(\begin{matrix}0\\1\end{matrix}\right) & \left(\begin{matrix}-2t\\0\end{matrix}\right)\\

\left(\begin{matrix}2\\0\end{matrix}\right) & \left(\begin{matrix}0\\0\end{matrix}\right) & \left(\begin{matrix}-2\\0\end{matrix}\right)
    \end{matrix}\right|##

But I couldn't see how to proceed from there, since matrix multiplication won't work. How would I find this determinant?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can't because it doesn't make sense.

In any case, you should be able to see by inspection that the three vectors aren't linearly independent.

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3
    Okay, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted