Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X=r(cos u+i sin u) and y=t(cos v + i sin v)

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    I need help getting this one started... PLEASE...

Given x=r(cos U + i sin u) and y =t(cos v + i sin v):
    Prove tha tthe modulus of (xy) is the product of their moduli and that the amplitude of (xy) is the sum of their amplitudes.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2
    I dont really know the answer to this question out-right, though it seems like that they are taking x,y in the complex field to a polar coordinate mapping. When you multiply two elements in this way the length's are a product and the angles add together which can be verified by straight multiplication of the variables xy.

hince: xy = rt(cos(u+v) + isin(u+v))

Graphically this looks like x/y lengths multiplied with their angles added together.

That should give you a good insight into what the modulus/length and the amplitude/direction should be.

Edit:

Also: when proving the xy = "" portion I posted, it may be helpful to look up trig identities for cos(x+y) and sin(x+y) as it will allow you to make needed substitutions :P.

4. Jan 26, 2007 #3
    Maybe use Euler's formlua?

5. Jan 28, 2007 #4
    The modulus of a complex number is given by multiplying the number by its complex conjugate and taking the square root. So:

[tex]|x|^2 = x\overline{x}[/tex]
    [tex]|y|^2 = y\overline{y}[/tex]

[tex]|xy|^2 = xy\overline{xy}=x\overline{x}y\overline{y}=|x|^2|y|^2[/tex]

This works because complex multiplication is commutative(order doesn't matter). Now just take the square root of both sides and you're done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?