Year 10 physics homework problem

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving finding the distance a thrown object will land, given its angle, speed, and height of throw. The conversation also touches on the use of SUVAT equations for constant acceleration. The speaker initially had no idea how to attempt the question, but with the help of provided resources, they were able to figure it out.
Camden
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
if I want to water a garden bed 6 meters away and the water is coming out of the hose at 8 m/s how high must I hold the hose to reach the garden bed?
Relevant Equations
distance to garden bed: 6 meters
water speed coming out of the hose: 8 meters per second
I got this as homework and I am not sure how to attempt it

Attachments

• IMG_2678[1].JPG
    IMG_2678[1].JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 79
Physics news on Phys.org
Per forum rules, you must show an attempt.
Your diagram has the water coming out horizontally. Are you assuming that?
Would you find it easier if it were throwing a stone? For a given angle, speed and height of throw, how far away would it land?

Likes PhDeezNutz and Camden
Thank you for your reply,
unfortunately I have no clue how to attempt this question therefore I have not attempted it. The water is indeed coming out horizontally.

Camden said:
Thank you for your reply,
unfortunately I have no clue how to attempt this question therefore I have not attempted it. The water is indeed coming out horizontally.
What equations have you been taught for constant acceleration. SUVAT?

Likes Camden
haruspex said:
What equations have you been taught for constant acceleration. SUVAT?
I was supposed to find an equation myself

Thankyou this has helped a lot i figured it out now

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is the problem asking me to solve?

The problem is asking you to apply your knowledge of physics concepts and equations to find a solution to a specific scenario or question.

2. How do I approach solving the problem?

First, read the problem carefully and identify what is given and what is being asked. Then, use your understanding of relevant physics principles and equations to formulate a plan for solving the problem. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or make a list of known and unknown variables.

3. What equations should I use to solve the problem?

The equations you use will depend on the specific problem and the given information. It is important to use equations that are relevant to the problem and to properly substitute in values for variables. If you are unsure which equations to use, consult your textbook or ask your teacher for guidance.

4. How do I check if my answer is correct?

After solving the problem, it is important to check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem. You can also double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling to solve the problem?

If you are having difficulty solving the problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts or seeking help from a classmate, teacher, or online resources. It is also important to review and understand the relevant physics concepts and equations to better approach similar problems in the future.