How Do You Calculate Force on a Car Impacting a Tree at 60km/h?

In summary, the physics student must analyse kinematics, impulse and momentum, friction, energy and circular motion. They are currently working on a car design and were wondering if anyone could tell them the formulae they need to calculate the force acting on the car during an impact.
Physics_Student101
Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum so I am not entirely sure how it works,
I have a physics assignment in which i must analyse kinematics, impulse and momentum, friction, energy and circular motion, I am currently working on a car design and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the formulae i need to analyse the force on an impact on a car traveling at a certain speed let's say 60km/h colliding with a tree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_Student101 said:
Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum so I am not entirely sure how it works,
I have a physics assignment in which i must analyse kinematics, impulse and momentum, friction, energy and circular motion, I am currently working on a car design and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the formulae i need to analyse the force on an impact on a car traveling at a certain speed let's say 60km/h colliding with a tree.

You can estimate the force by assuming a constant deceleration and constant force during the time of impact. Under this assumption, you can find the acceleration from the change in velocity and the distance the car moves while it is stopping, which would be the amount by which the car crumples on impact (a half meter or so perhaps). The equation that relates these quantities is

[tex] v_{final}^2 - v_{initial}^2 = 2as [/tex]

where s is the stopping distance and a is the acceleration (negative for stopping). Once you have the acceleration, the force acting on the car is found from Newton's second law

[tex] F = ma [/tex]

Obviously it takes more force to stop a more massive car.

Year 11 - So it's coursework, that brief is fairly large, when I visited a school recently their question was quite fixed and not open ended, perhaps you could tell us your brief more succintly?

-NewScientist

1. What is the purpose of the Year 11 Physics Assignment?

The purpose of the Year 11 Physics Assignment is to assess students' understanding of key concepts and principles in physics, as well as their ability to apply these concepts to solve problems and conduct experiments.

2. How much time should I spend on the Year 11 Physics Assignment?

The amount of time you should spend on the Year 11 Physics Assignment will depend on your individual study habits and the complexity of the assignment. It is recommended to allocate at least 2-3 hours per week to work on the assignment.

3. Do I need any special materials or equipment for the Year 11 Physics Assignment?

No, the Year 11 Physics Assignment can be completed using basic materials and equipment found in most high school physics classrooms. However, you may need to access online resources or textbooks to supplement your understanding of certain concepts.

4. Can I work with a partner or in a group for the Year 11 Physics Assignment?

This will depend on the specific guidelines set by your teacher. Some assignments may allow for collaboration, while others may require individual work. It is important to clarify this with your teacher before beginning the assignment.

5. How will the Year 11 Physics Assignment be graded?

The grading criteria for the Year 11 Physics Assignment will vary depending on the specific requirements set by your teacher. However, typically, the assignment will be graded based on accuracy of answers, understanding of key concepts, and presentation of work.