Yes, that is correct. The sequence is convergent for n>1, but not for n=1.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Physicsissuef
Messages
908
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I got one progression [tex]\frac{2n-3}{3n-5}[/tex].

Is this monotonic and convergent?

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



I tried an-an+1=1/(3n-5)(3n-2)>0

But for n=1 and n=2, we got 1/2 and 1, so I think that this string is not monotonic, right?

I think it is convergent because it got a=2/3.

[tex]|a_n-a|<\epsilon[/tex]

Am I right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure

[tex] a_n - a_{n+1} = \frac 1 {(3n-5)(3n-2)}[/tex]


is [tex]> 0[/tex] for every [tex]n = 1, 2, 3, \dots[/tex]? :smile: Compare the result you
get from the formula above to the actual value of [tex]a_1 - a_2[/tex].
You are on the correct track for proving convergence.
 
Physicsissuef said:

Homework Statement



I got one progression [tex]\frac{2n-3}{3n-5}[/tex].

Is this monotonic and convergent?
…
But for n=1 and n=2, we got 1/2 and 1, so I think that this string is not monotonic, right?

I think it is convergent because it got a=2/3.

Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

It would be much easier if you you rewrote it in the form 2/3 + A/(3n - 5). :wink:

If it's monotonic except for the first one or two, then you should say so.

It converges monotonically after a certain point. :smile:
 
statdad said:
Are you sure

[tex] a_n - a_{n+1} = \frac 1 {(3n-5)(3n-2)}[/tex] is [tex]> 0[/tex] for every [tex]n = 1, 2, 3, \dots[/tex]? :smile: Compare the result you
get from the formula above to the actual value of [tex]a_1 - a_2[/tex].
You are on the correct track for proving convergence.

Yes, I am sure that it is correct, but as you can see for n=1 (i.e a1,a2), it is

1/(3-5)(3-2)
-1/2 < 0

and for n>1, it is monotonic.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

It would be much easier if you you rewrote it in the form 2/3 + A/(3n - 5). :wink:

If it's monotonic except for the first one or two, then you should say so.

It converges monotonically after a certain point. :smile:

So if I write
[tex]|a_n-a|=|\frac{2n-3}{3n-5}-\frac{2}{3}|=|\frac{3(2n-3)-2(3n-5)}{3(3n-5)}|=<br /> |\frac{6n-9-6n+10}{3(3n-5}|=\frac{1}{3(3n-5)} < \epsilon[/tex]

So it is convergent, probably for n>1, because if n=1, [tex]1/3(3-5)=-1/6 < \epsilon[/tex]

Because of the fact that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] can't be negative i.e [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], it is convergent for n>1, right?