Yet another dumb question (zeros of a cubic function)

In summary, to find all of the zeros of the function f(x)= x^3-2x^2-11x+52, there are a few different methods that can be used. One approach is to factor the polynomial by finding two values a and b such that f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs, indicating the presence of a zero in between. Another method is to use a graphic plotter to visualize the function and approximate the zeros. In this example, x = -4 is a zero and the other factors can be found by dividing the original polynomial by (x+4). This results in a quadratic equation with complex roots. It is important to consider the graph of the function to avoid spending time looking for
DumbKid88
f(x)= x^3-2x^2-11x+52 ----> Find all of the zeros of the function

I just need some advice/direction on how to start solving this. It is not in the textbook and my brain is just kinda farting when I look at it. I think i need to get it in an (x-a)(bx^2+cx+d) form or something, but I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd try and guess a factor to start with, looking at the factors of 52; so +/-2, +/-4, etc.. then divide the polynomial by (x-a) where a is a factor.

Here's another idea you can try:

Just test out a few x values and see if you can find two values (say a and b) such that f(a) is, say, positive and f(b) is negative (or vice versa). Then, you know that since f(a) and f(b) are of opposite signs, somewhere in between is a value c in between a and b such that f(c) = 0.

For example, take g(x) = x^2 - 4 (this should be easy enough). If I test out:

g(1) = 1-4 = -3 < 0
g(7) = 49-4 = 45 > 0

Then I know that between 1 and 7 there is a zero (because the y-values go from -3, which is negative, to 45, which is positive, and hence at some point the y-values had to be 0). You can narrow your root even more by adjusting the interval (instead of 7, try smaller values so that the y-values are even closer to 0).

This concept is an application of the intermediate value theorem.

I would use a graphic plotter if you have one and plot the cubic. You then see that x = -4 looks like a solution and you soon check that it is exactly. Most graphic plotters have an root-finding button. (Otherwise you arrive at this by the calculations of integer x already suggested.) That is (x + 4) is a factor of the cubic. So divide by this and you find the other factors (x^2 - 6x + 13). This has no real solutions as you will have already seen from the cubic plot. You can get the complex roots solving the quadratic; they are 3 + 2i, 3 - 2i.

epenguin said:
I would use a graphic plotter if you have one and plot the cubic. You then see that x = -4 looks like a solution and you soon check that it is exactly. Most graphic plotters have an root-finding button. (Otherwise you arrive at this by the calculations of integer x already suggested.) That is (x + 4) is a factor of the cubic. So divide by this and you find the other factors (x^2 - 6x + 13). This has no real solutions as you will have already seen from the cubic plot. You can get the complex roots solving the quadratic; they are 3 + 2i, 3 - 2i.

:biggrin:

dude.

I think you kinda just gave away the answer... usually we try an learn 'em a little, not just give them the answer... but to each his own, as they say.

I guess I did, but maybe he has other problems like that. I guess I had doubts about whether there really is any significant learnin in a problem like this that IMHO merited only cheating!:biggrin: - but on second thoughts maybe there is some, but we wouldn't want him to be looking for ever for real roots that are not there.:smile:

1. What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a type of polynomial function that contains a term with a variable raised to the power of 3. It is written in the form of f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. How do you find the zeros of a cubic function?

To find the zeros of a cubic function, you can use various methods such as graphing, factoring, or using the cubic formula. Graphing involves plotting the function on a graph and finding the points where the function intersects with the x-axis. Factoring involves factoring the function into its linear and quadratic factors and solving for the zeros. The cubic formula is a more complex method that can be used to find the zeros of any cubic function.

3. What does it mean when a cubic function has imaginary zeros?

When a cubic function has imaginary zeros, it means that the zeros are complex numbers that cannot be represented on a standard coordinate plane. This usually occurs when the discriminant of the cubic function is negative, indicating that the function has no real roots.

4. Can a cubic function have more than three zeros?

No, a cubic function can only have a maximum of three distinct zeros. This is because a cubic function is a polynomial of degree three, meaning it can have at most three roots. However, some of these roots may be repeated, which is known as a multiplicity.

5. How are cubic functions used in real life?

Cubic functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model real-life situations such as the motion of a falling object, the growth of a population, or the demand for a product. Cubic functions are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.