Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You'll have to stand up for this one, but it's worth it

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

This is pretty neat. If you look at this picture from about 15 feet away is looks exactly like Marilyn Monroe. Seriously, get out of your chair and step across the room or down the hall and look. Then walk towards your monitor and watch Marilyn change. I saw this picture in an article about optical illusions when I clicked on the Scientific American Partner Network.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I didn't quite see Monroe, but I did see some twisted, hellish amalgamation of her and Einstein. That was quite creepy.

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had to go 25 to 30 feet away, but it was totally Monroe. My pupil diameter is 7 cm, that might have something to do with it (I'm a squid, BTW).

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4
    go further away then, or squint a little bit. Once you are far enough away it won't be an amalgamation it will be a perfect Marilyn.

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You don't have to move away, at least if you use Opera :wink: Just press -

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6
    I had to zoom down to about 10% (using gimp). Funny.

8. Aug 28, 2008 #7
    dammit, I'm trying to get you up off your butts. quit resizing my picture and take a walk

9. Aug 28, 2008 #8
    I did that too. But being a physicist, my house is very small.

10. Aug 28, 2008 #9
    yay, I went for my weekly sport event and actually walked. Amazing. Now could we agree on advising Evo to stay put and resize the picture?

11. Aug 28, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe someone can make an animated gif and post it here...? Ummm...I'm a little busy, at the moment. o:)

12. Aug 28, 2008 #11

Borek

Should be enough if you almost close your eyes, so that the picture becomes blurry. You loose fine lines, but you still see shape.

That's an interesting case when two methods of picture analysis in your brain (one based on the shape and one based on the fine details) compete.

13. Aug 28, 2008 #12

RonL

Gold Member

Might be the very basis of the song, "The Women, All Get Prettier At Closing Time".:rolleyes:

14. Aug 28, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

That's what I did, Borek. Squinting to lose detail worked well - I only have about 8' of space to move away from my monitor. Even better was CTRL- (I use Firefox) to shrink the display and a little squinting.

15. Aug 28, 2008 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

My house isn't that large! I've tried zooming out though. Pretty cool illusion.

16. Aug 28, 2008 #15

Evo

No matter how far back I get, she still has a moustache.

17. Aug 28, 2008 #16
    Very nice!
    So anyone already wrote a program to merge two pictures this way?

18. Aug 28, 2008 #17

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That is pretty good.

I squinted, and rubbed my eyes and let my blurred vision run riot with the water in my eyes - and viola it was either Marilyn Monroe or Gretchen Mol couldn't really tell the difference. No mustache, and the necktie vanished into a necklace. Albert never looked so good - to me anyway.

[​IMG]

19. Aug 28, 2008 #18
    If you get far enough away (or shrink it enough) the moustache becomes her smile.

20. Aug 28, 2008 #19

Evo

I see it is supposed to be a smile, but I can still tell it's a moustache, if I have my glasses on. I probably can go 20+ feet because it's backs into another room and a hallway. It's the only feature that stands out.

21. Aug 28, 2008 #20
    if I have my glasses on? sheesh. You could probably go 100 feet and see the moustache with a good pair of binoculars. The idea is to get far enough away that you can't see the moustache. Uncorrected eyesight should make it easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?