Young's double slit experiment help

In summary: A !In summary, the speaker is doing an experiment where they need to find the wavelength of their laser light source. They are unsure of what the variables IV and DV would be and the controlled variables. They are in AS level, so please do not make it too solid for them.
supersub
1. The statement, all variables and given/known data
Hi I'm doing this experiment where we need to find the wavelength of our laser light source. I am unsure what the variables IV and DV would be and the controlled variables? Also how will I make the graph? I'm in AS level so please don't make it too solid for me thanks.

Homework Equations

so we are to use: w=λD/s where w= fringe spacing D is distance from slit to screen and s is the slit seperation
in the form λ=ws/D

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the controlled variables are the slit separation, s, the distance, D, but I am really unsure on the others.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello sub, :welcome:

Eager to help, but telepathy isn't my forte. What are you talking about ? IV, DV, AS don't appear anywhere in my dictionary. Read your own post and try to imagine what someone who is eager to help can make out of this !

Hey sorry i thought it was common to know it because its how i learned it in class. IV= independent variable DV = Dependant Variable
AS 1st year of A levels. Thanks for your help.

So that's settled. Now all we have to find out is what 'this experiment' is, 'the graph', and so on :smile:
You researched about young's experiment already ?

Yes I am familiar with the experiment. I have done a replica practical using a monochromatic light source (a red laser). Its not so much an essay but more of just a write-up/report of what we found. We needed to find the wavelength of the light source using the formula i gave above. We used a range of D, distance from light source to the screen and measured the fringe spacing of each distance. I am just unsure what the 3 variables are, independent, dependent, and controlled variables. The other thing I am unsure about is how to plot the graph and if anything is necessary to calculate from the graph e.g. gradient.
thanks again

supersub said:
Yes I am familiar with the experiment. I have done a replica
I know that, but I am asking what you actually did, what you measured, etcetera.
I already understand you varied the distance from the slits (two slits?, separation?, width, ?) to the screen.

BvU said:
I know that, but I am asking what you actually did, what you measured, etcetera.
I already understand you varied the distance from the slits (two slits?, separation?, width, ?) to the screen.
Right. Yes it was a double slit of one piece. the slit separation was 0.25mm, and the D we started at 1metre from the light source and measured the fringes by using a paper as a screen and marking the fringes on the paper then using a small ruler measured around 10 of them added length and divided by 10 to reduce uncertainty. Then moved it 2m away and repeated it until 6metres and recorded a results table of Distance and fringe spacing.

Good. So, as you can read from your own account, you varied D and measured the fringe distance. A reasonable graph would then be: measured vertical versus varied horizontal. You expect some relationship ( ##w={\lambda\over s} D## ) that should give a straight line with slope ##\lambda\over s##.

BvU said:
Hello sub, :welcome:

Eager to help, but telepathy isn't my forte. What are you talking about ? IV, DV, AS don't appear anywhere in my dictionary. Read your own post and try to imagine what someone who is eager to help can make out of this !
AS is an exam level...1 below A ! All teachers or those involved in education know this

This is PF. THere are research physicists from all over the world here too. The point wasn't to find out what AS means, but to seduce Supersub to compose a decent post. That'll also help to write a decent lab report !

BvU said:
Good. So, as you can read from your own account, you varied D and measured the fringe distance. A reasonable graph would then be: measured vertical versus varied horizontal. You expect some relationship ( ##w={\lambda\over s} D## ) that should give a straight line with slope ##\lambda\over s##.
Right so independent would be D from the equation and dependent variable is fringe spacing (W). You're right I just had to read my words ha. Just a few things needed, by slope do you mean gradient. I think the fringe spacing is on the y-axis is that right? Also so would one controlled variable be slit separation, s, and are there any others? Thanks again

Last edited:
BvU said:
This is PF. THere are research physicists from all over the world here too. The point wasn't to find out what AS means, but to seduce Supersub to compose a decent post. That'll also help to write a decent lab report !
I hoped that expaining what was meant by AS would help you judge the level of any help that you give.
AS and A level are widely recognised as exam levels. Most research physicists have probably obtained at least AS and A level.

1. What is Young's double slit experiment?

The Young's double slit experiment is a famous experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment works by passing a beam of light through two slits, which act as sources of secondary waves. These secondary waves interfere with each other, creating an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits.

3. What does the interference pattern look like?

The interference pattern consists of alternating bright and dark fringes, with the brightest fringe at the center and gradually decreasing intensity towards the edges.

4. What does the experiment prove?

The experiment proves that light has wave-like properties, as the interference pattern can only be explained by the superposition of waves. This supports the wave theory of light proposed by Thomas Young in the early 19th century.

5. How is Young's double slit experiment relevant today?

The experiment is still relevant today as it is used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics and quantum mechanics, and continues to be a topic of research and study in the scientific community.