Young’s double slit experiment

In summary, Homework Equations states that sinθ=(m+1/2)λ/d, where θ is the angle between the two fringes. If the wavelength of the light is 550 nm, then the linear distance between the first and second dark fringes on the screen is 8.25*10^-4m.
aChordate

Homework Statement

In a version of Young’s double slit experiment, the slits are separated by a distance of
1.0 mm. The light from the slits is observed on a screen that is 12 m from the slits. If the
wavelength of the light is 550 nm, what is the linear distance on the screen between the
first order (m = 1) and second order (m = 2) dark fringes?

Homework Equations

sinθ=(m+1/2)λ/d

The Attempt at a Solution

sinθ=(1+1/2)550nm/1mm=8.25*10^-4
θ=0.04727°

sinθ=(2+1/2)550nm/1mm=0.001375
θ=0.07878°

tanθ=y/L

y = Ltanθ = 12tan0.04727
y=0.00990 m

y = Ltanθ = 12tan0.07878°
y=0.0165 m

0.165-0.00990=0.00660 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool!
Was there a question in all that?

I see your attempted solution is incomplete - no reasoning provided, and no conclusion.
Why did you pick that particular equation?

What do you mean, "was there a question in all that?"

aChordate said:
What do you mean, "was there a question in all that?"

Exactly what I said - you wrote quite a lot, but you have not asked a question.
The most important part of science is asking questions - you should practise.

In the English language, a question is a sentence that ends in a question mark and frames some sort of query.
In your entire post, the only question mark appears in the problem statement - that is a question being asked of you, as homework, so I am not allowed to answer it.

You have done the physics problem, and shown your working.
That's fine - but so what?

Perhaps you wanted to know something?

aChordate,

Your solution is correct, I think, you just wanted us to check it. Simon misses the question "Is my solution correct?"

But a solution is really good if you explain what you do and why.
During the solution, do not use the same notation for different things. If y is the position of a dark spot, write y1 for the first one and y2 for the second one. At the end, give the result in a sentence: " the distance between the first and second dark fringes on the screen is d=y2-y1=..."

By the way, the first dark fringe that appears in the Young experiment corresponds to 1/2 λ/D, when m=0 (between the central maximum and the first maximum)

ehild

Simon misses the question "Is my solution correct?"
... which does not appear in post #1 at the time of writing this.
I could "infer" this question - but it could be that OP has a specific concern that should be addressed.
I could infer the question, "How can I improve on this?", which changes the style of the reply.

Like I said, getting an explicit question helps show how the OP is thinking about the problem.
Answers in related thread has apparently shown that OP does not understand why the equation chosen is correct.

Technically, the distance between any two adjacent dark fringes will be, given the geometry, the same - and that will be the same as the distance between two adjacent bright fringes too.

Note: 0.07878deg = 0.001375rad,
tan(0.001375rad)=0.001375 ...
sin(0.001375rad)=0.001375 ...
... should suggest an approximation that would help you in future.

Last edited:

1. How does the Young's double slit experiment work?

The Young's double slit experiment involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern created on a screen behind the slits. This is due to the wave nature of light, where the light passing through the two slits creates overlapping waves that interfere with each other, resulting in bright and dark fringes on the screen.

2. What is the purpose of the Young's double slit experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the wave nature of light and to study the phenomenon of interference. It also provides evidence for the concept of superposition, where waves can combine and cancel each other out.

3. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit separation, affects the spacing of the fringes on the screen. As the distance between the slits increases, the distance between the fringes decreases, resulting in a wider interference pattern. Conversely, a smaller distance between the slits will result in a narrower interference pattern.

4. What happens to the interference pattern when the light source is changed?

The interference pattern will change depending on the wavelength of the light source. If the light source is changed to a longer wavelength, the fringes will be more widely spaced, while a shorter wavelength will result in narrower fringes. Additionally, changing the intensity of the light source will affect the brightness of the fringes.

5. Can the Young's double slit experiment be done with other types of waves?

Yes, the Young's double slit experiment can be performed with other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves. The same principles of interference and superposition apply, and the resulting interference pattern will be similar to that of light waves.