Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your assignment: Design a post-apocalyptic communication system

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    I'm a programmer but weak on hardware so I'd appreciate your help. In a novel I'm writing there are about one hundred underground cities housing one million people in the US; the rest of our population is dead. Somewhat smaller percentage of survivors in Europe and Asia. We have several years warning and want to establish a communication system - internet and television - for the survivors, including - if possible - communication with Europe and Asia via undersea cables. The cities have plenty of energy available but there will be none between cities, so I wonder if the distances between nodes will make it impractical.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds like the original design parameter for the internet... so what's wrong with that?

4. Aug 23, 2013 #3
    [​IMG]

This but with really long strings

5. Aug 24, 2013 #4
    Ham Radio?

6. Aug 24, 2013 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Satellite comms?

7. Aug 24, 2013 #6
    they should use the remaining us nuclear arsenal to broadcast morsecode seismically.

they can use old USGS equipment if they're a little further away or hard of hearing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted