Youtube embedding in Chat (shoutbox)

• Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of embedded YouTube videos resetting every time a message is entered in the chatbox. It is suggested that a link to watch the video on YouTube itself is available, but defeats the purpose of embedding. The main problem is the video reloading after every message, which cannot be fixed. The chat simply inherits bbcode processing and does not have specific YouTube functionality. It is proposed that YouTube URLs should not be automatically embedded to avoid this issue.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, since the shoutbox refreshes its page every time a message is entered, an embedded youtube video will also reset when I type something into the shoutbox, making actually watching the video difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, at the top left of the embedded video there's a link to youtube itself. But this seems to pretty much defeat the purpose of embedding, rather than just posting the URL in the first place.

There really isn't a way to handle this. New content will push old content down.

But I think the problem is not moving the content down, but that the video reloads after every message. Even if the video moves down, couldn't you make it not reload so that you could keep watching?

Matterwave said:
But I think the problem is not moving the content down, but that the video reloads after every message.
Ah interesting, yes that is a problem. One that we likely can't fix.

Ah =/ Seems like a pretty big dent in the functionality of youtube embedding then...

Matterwave said:
Ah =/ Seems like a pretty big dent in the functionality of youtube embedding then..
The chat simply inherits bbcode processing. It doesn't specifically have youtube functionality.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The chat simply inherits bbcode processing. It doesn't specifically have youtube functionality.

Maybe in that case a youtube URL should not be automatically embedded then? o.o

Matterwave said:
Maybe in that case a youtube URL should not be automatically embedded then? o.o
We can make that happen

1. How do I embed a YouTube video in a chat or shoutbox?

To embed a YouTube video in a chat or shoutbox, you will need to copy the video's URL and paste it into the chat box. The video will automatically embed itself and appear as a playable video for others to view.

2. Can I customize the size of the YouTube video embedded in the chat?

Yes, you can customize the size of the YouTube video by adding width and height attributes to the video's embed code. You can also use the YouTube embed code generator to create a custom size for your video.

3. Will the YouTube video be playable for everyone in the chat or just for the person who embedded it?

The YouTube video will be playable for everyone in the chat. Once embedded, the video will be available for all users to view and play.

4. Can I embed a YouTube livestream in a chat or shoutbox?

Yes, you can embed a YouTube livestream in a chat or shoutbox. The process is the same as embedding a regular YouTube video. Simply copy and paste the livestream's URL into the chat box to embed it.

5. Is there a limit to how many YouTube videos can be embedded in a chat or shoutbox?

There is no specific limit to the number of YouTube videos that can be embedded in a chat or shoutbox. However, it is important to consider the size and loading time of the videos as too many embedded videos can slow down the chat or shoutbox for users.