Is every smooth simple closed curve a smooth embedding of the circle?

In summary, we are considering a smooth curve \gamma:[0,1] \to M, where M is a smooth m-dimensional manifold and \gamma(0) = \gamma(1). We also have \hat{\gamma}:=\gamma|_{[0,1)} to be an injection and \gamma being an immersion with an injective pushforward \gamma_*. The claim is that the image set \gamma([0,1]) forms a smooth embedding of the unit circle S^1. However, this is not always true as there is no guarantee of smoothness at \gamma(0). A counterexample is the cardioid curve. To prove this for the smooth case, we can reformulate the problem by considering
Only a Mirage
Suppose I have a smooth curve [itex]\gamma:[0,1] \to M[/itex], where [itex]M[/itex] is a smooth [itex]m[/itex]-dimensional manifold such that [itex]\gamma(0) = \gamma(1)[/itex], and [itex]\hat{\gamma}:=\gamma|_{[0,1)}[/itex] is an injection. Suppose further that [itex]\gamma[/itex] is an immersion; i.e., the pushforward [itex]\gamma_*[/itex] is injective at every [itex]t\in [0,1][/itex].

Claim: The image set [itex]\gamma([0,1])[/itex] is a smooth embedding of the unit circle [itex]S^1[/itex].

This seems intuitively obvious to me -- I can "bend and stretch" a circle into any "nice" closed curve (and vice versa). However, I'm having trouble proving this, even for the special case where [itex]M=\mathbb{R}^n[/itex].

Here is how I've been approaching this: If [itex]\beta:[0,1]\to \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is a smooth parametrization of the unit circle such that [itex]\hat{\beta}:=\beta|_{[0,1)}[/itex] is an injection, [itex]\beta(0) = \beta(1)[/itex], [itex]\dot{\beta}(t) \not = 0[/itex] for all [itex]t[/itex], and [itex]\beta([0,1]) = \hat{\beta}([0,1)) = S^1[/itex], then [tex]\hat{\beta}^{-1}:S^1 \to [0,1)[/tex] and [tex]\alpha \circ \hat{\beta}^{-1}:S^1 \to C [/tex] where [itex]C:= \gamma([0,1])[/itex]. It seems that if I can show that [itex]\alpha \circ \hat{\beta}^{-1}[/itex] is smooth with an everywhere-injective pushforward, I'd be done. However, I can't figure out how to do this as [itex]\hat{\beta}^{-1}[/itex] isn't even continuous, so I don't think it is differentiable.

Any ideas? I feel like I'm missing something obvious. What little differential geometry (and topology) I know is self-taught, so maybe there is a standard trick I haven't learned.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're running up against the fact that the circle can't be covered by a single coordinate chart. Try using two maps, that each map an open interval into M, together with a pair of transition functions that describe how the portions of the circle should be glued together.

Likes 1 person
Maybe you can argue that ## \gamma (0)= \gamma(1) :[0,1] \rightarrow M ## , that your map is a map from a quotient ##[0,1]/~ ; 0~1 ## which is homeo to ## S^1 ##. Since you have a continuous injection, the map is a bijection into its image, and it is a bijection between compact space and Hausdorff space, which is an embedding.

I think the result is false. Certainly the image ##\gamma([0,1])## will be homeomorphic to the circle ##S^1##, but smoothness fails.

The reason is that you have no guarantee of smoothness in ##\gamma(0)##. The curve ##\gamma## might have a cusp in ##\gamma(0)## which means it won't be a smooth embedding of the unit circle into ##M##.

Consider for example the cardioid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardioid which is given by

cardioid.gif

I think it satisfies all the requirements in the OP but it is not the smooth embedding of ##S^1## in ##\mathbb{R}^2## because of the cusp in the origin.

Yes, I forgot the smoothness part and just proved the part about the map being an embedding.

Likes 1 person
WWGD said:
Yes, I forgot the smoothness part and just proved the part about the map being an embedding.

Your argument is a really nice one. It can actually be used to prove the smooth case. Not the smooth case like the OP formulates it, but if you reformulate it a bit to let ##\gamma:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow M## be a smooth periodic curve with period ##1## which is injective at ##[0,1)## and such that ##\gamma_*## is injective.

Then you can consider the quotient manifold ##\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Z}## which is just quotienting out with respect to the Lie group ##\mathbb{Z}##. This is diffeomorphic to the circle ##S^1##. Then your argument can be generalized to this case.

Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone!

micromass said:
Your argument is a really nice one. It can actually be used to prove the smooth case. Not the smooth case like the OP formulates it, but if you reformulate it a bit to let ##\gamma:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow M## be a smooth periodic curve with period ##1## which is injective at ##[0,1)## and such that ##\gamma_*## is injective.

Then you can consider the quotient manifold ##\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Z}## which is just quotienting out with respect to the Lie group ##\mathbb{Z}##. This is diffeomorphic to the circle ##S^1##. Then your argument can be generalized to this case.

I'm not very comfortable with Lie groups yet, but I think I understand what you're saying. Basically, I just need to require that [itex]\dot{\gamma}(1) = \dot{\gamma}(0)[/itex], right? It sounds like requiring the curve to be a periodic function ensures this, and eliminates the issues of differentiability at the endpoints of ##[0,1]##.

Only a Mirage said:
I'm not very comfortable with Lie groups yet, but I think I understand what you're saying. Basically, I just need to require that [itex]\dot{\gamma}(1) = \dot{\gamma}(0)[/itex], right? It sounds like requiring the curve to be a periodic function ensures this, and eliminates the issues of differentiability at the endpoints of ##[0,1]##.

Yes, exactly right.

Likes 1 person
That was very helpful. Thank you!

1. Is every smooth simple closed curve a smooth embedding of the circle?

No, not every smooth simple closed curve is a smooth embedding of the circle. A smooth embedding of the circle is a one-to-one and smooth map from the circle to a topological space. A smooth simple closed curve may have self-intersections or be non-injective, making it not a smooth embedding of the circle.

2. What is a smooth simple closed curve?

A smooth simple closed curve is a continuous and differentiable closed curve in a plane that does not intersect itself. It is a basic concept in topology and is often used to describe the shape of objects in mathematics and science.

3. Can a smooth simple closed curve be non-smooth?

No, a smooth simple closed curve, by definition, must be smooth. This means that it is continuous and differentiable, meaning it has a well-defined tangent line at every point on the curve.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that every smooth simple closed curve is a smooth embedding of the circle?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, a figure eight shape is a smooth simple closed curve, but it is not a smooth embedding of the circle because it has a point of self-intersection.

5. How is the concept of a smooth simple closed curve used in science?

The concept of a smooth simple closed curve is used in various fields of science, including physics, biology, and computer science. It is used to describe the shape and movement of objects and organisms, as well as in mathematical models and simulations.