-z.60 Find the vector perpendicular to the plane PQR

In summary, the problem is to find the unit vector perpendicular to the plane determined by the given points, which are P(2,1,3), Q(1,1,2), and R(2,2,1). The solution involves finding the cross product of the two vectors formed by subtracting the coordinates of the points, and then using the formula for the unit vector to find the final result. The book answer is given as $\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}(i-2j-k)$, but it should be noted that there are actually two unit vectors perpendicular to the given plane.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\textsf{Find the vector perpendicular to the plane PQR
determined by the points}$
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
&P(2,1,3), \, Q(1,1,2), \, R(2,2,1)\\ \end{align*}
$$\textbf{ solution:}$$
\vec{PQ}&=(1-2)i+(1-1)J+(2-3)k=&-i-k\\
\vec{PR}&=(2-2)i+(2-1)j+(1-3)k=&j-2k
\end{align*}

\vec{PQ} \times \vec{PR}&=
\begin{vmatrix}
i&j&k\\-1&0&-1\\0&1&-2
\end{vmatrix}\\
&=
\begin{vmatrix}
0&-1\\1&-2
\end{vmatrix}i-
\begin{vmatrix}
-1&-1\\0&-2
\end{vmatrix}j-
\begin{vmatrix}
-1&0\\0&1
\end{vmatrix}k\\
&=(0+1)i-(2+0)j+(-1+0)k\\
&=i-2j-k\\
%&=\\
\text{book answer}&=\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}(i-2j-k)
\end{align*}

ok I don't know where the $\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}$ comes from

just that $\displaystyle\sqrt{1^2+2^2+1^1} = \sqrt{6}$

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
ok I don't know where the $\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}$ comes from

just that $\displaystyle\sqrt{1^2+2^2+1^1} = \sqrt{6}$

the book answer is just the unit vector perpendicular to the plane

Your problem says "find the vector perpendicular to the plane". But there are an infinite number of vectors perpendicular to a given plane. There are, in fact, two unit vectors perpendicular to the given plane, one the negative of the other.

HallsofIvy said:
Your problem says "find the vector perpendicular to the plane". But there are an infinite number of vectors perpendicular to a given plane. There are, in fact, two unit vectors perpendicular to the given plane, one the negative of the other.

ok its

Find a unit vector perpendicular to the plane [FONT=MathJax_SansSerif]PQR determined by the points[/FONT]
$\begin{align*}\displaystyle &P(2,1,3), \, Q(1,1,2), \, R(2,2,1)
\end{align*}$

$\text{book answer}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}(i-2j-k)$

https://dl.orangedox.com/SNILuKcDnZqpqsUsH1

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with its length representing the magnitude.

2. What does it mean for a vector to be perpendicular?

A vector is perpendicular to another vector or a plane if it forms a right angle (90 degrees) with it.

3. How do you find a vector perpendicular to a plane?

To find a vector perpendicular to a plane, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors within the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of those vectors and therefore, perpendicular to the plane.

4. What is the significance of finding a vector perpendicular to a plane?

Finding a vector perpendicular to a plane is useful in many mathematical applications, such as calculating the normal vector of a plane, determining the angle between two planes, or finding the shortest distance from a point to a plane.

5. Can there be more than one vector perpendicular to a plane?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of vectors that are perpendicular to a plane. This is because any vector in the plane can be used to generate a perpendicular vector through the cross product method described above.