Zero equilibrium 0 x a force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of torque and force needed to spin a 3 foot bar attached to an axle, considering different motor options and speeds. It is mentioned that a torque will be required to accelerate the bar and that once in motion, only air drag and friction will slow it down.
j1ceasar
Okay - a classic trap . multiplication times zero .
I have a 3 foot bar weighing 10 lbs . its attached along its mid point to an axle . how much torque / force - do I need along its axle ( motorized ) to get it to spin 30 rpm or 60 rpm ?

its in equilibrium , but of course it needs FORCE to move it

I am considering Nema class stepper motors / geared 5/1 - 16 to one or 27/1 - usually these motors go to 700- rpm ...

Engineering news on Phys.org
j1ceasar said:
Okay - a classic trap . multiplication times zero .
I have a 3 foot bar weighing 10 lbs . its attached along its mid point to an axle . how much torque / force - do I need along its axle ( motorized ) to get it to spin 30 rpm or 60 rpm ?

its in equilibrium , but of course it needs FORCE to move it

I am considering Nema class stepper motors / geared 5/1 - 16 to one or 27/1 - usually these motors go to 700- rpm ...
Uh ... WHAT multiplication by zero?

Likes Nidum and Bystander
Just like F = m*a for linear motion, there is an analog for rotational motion as well. A torque will be required to accelerate the bar, but once it's moving only air drag and friction will slow it down.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_acceleration

1. What is meant by "zero equilibrium" in a scientific context?

In science, zero equilibrium refers to a state where all forces acting on a system are balanced and the system is not moving. This means that the net force acting on the system is equal to zero.

2. How is zero equilibrium represented mathematically?

Mathematically, zero equilibrium is represented by the equation ΣF = 0, where ΣF represents the sum of all forces acting on a system and 0 represents the balance or equilibrium point.

3. Can a system be in zero equilibrium if there are multiple forces acting on it?

Yes, a system can be in zero equilibrium even if there are multiple forces acting on it. This is because the forces may cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

4. How does zero equilibrium relate to the concept of Newton's First Law of Motion?

The concept of zero equilibrium is closely related to Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. When a system is in zero equilibrium, the forces acting on it are balanced and there is no unbalanced force to cause a change in motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of zero equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of zero equilibrium include a book sitting on a table, a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, and a person standing still on the ground. In all of these cases, the forces acting on the system are balanced and there is no change in motion.