Zero impact vehicle that needs to travel 9 through 12 m

In summary: I assume you are asking if I can start the car and estimate how far the wall is.No, you need to know the distance exactly.
Physicsdood99

Homework Statement

the vehicle needs to stop as close to a wall that is located anywhere from 9 to 12 m away. (The distance is not given exactly) The vehicle must be self propelled and has other specifications located here http://www.njaapt.org/PhysicsOlympics/2011-2012/EVENT%205%20-%20Zero%20Impact%20Vehicle.pdf [Broken] . There can be no electrical components or chemical/ nuclear.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

rubber bands, spring weights, pulleys, mechanical launcher, mouse trap

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsdood99 said:

Homework Statement

the vehicle needs to stop as close to a wall that is located anywhere from 9 to 12 m away. (The distance is not given exactly) The vehicle must be self propelled and has other specifications located here http://www.njaapt.org/PhysicsOlympics/2011-2012/EVENT%205%20-%20Zero%20Impact%20Vehicle.pdf [Broken] . There can be no electrical components or chemical/ nuclear.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

rubber bands, spring weights, pulleys, mechanical launcher, mouse trap
My suggestion would be to use a gear mechanism driven by a spring. Set it up so that when the gear stops the wheels stop immediately. Then all you have to do is calibrate the gear-wheel ratio and configure it so that when the wheels have turned 8000/2∏r times (where r is the radius of the wheels in mm.) the gear stops and the wheels stop. Just a suggestion.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
The attempt at a solution does not address the stopping mechanism.

I assume this bit is a modification of the rules given in the pdf to make it harder...

the vehicle needs to stop as close to a wall that is located anywhere from 9 to 12 m away. (The distance is not given exactly)

That means some way of sensing the wall is required.

Not sure how to implement it but... what about bouncing an air jet off the wall so it operates a trigger stopping the wheels. I'm thinking something like a small hover craft turned on it's side mounted on an arm in front of the vehicle. As it approaches the wall it hovers say 5mm from the wall. The vehicle keeps moving until the angle of the arm trips the brake. Final score 5mm, perhaps less :-)

Last edited:
Is there a time limit? If so you may need to go fast for say 8.5m and then really slowly until the wall is detected.

CWatters said:
I assume this bit is a modification of the rules given in the pdf to make it harder...

That means some way of sensing the wall is required.
Perhaps the OP can clarify this. When you start the car do you know how far the wall is? If you will know this, then all you have to do is have a calibrating mechanism so you can set it for different stopping distances.

AM

What is a zero impact vehicle?

A zero impact vehicle is a type of vehicle that does not emit any harmful pollutants or gases into the environment. It is designed to have minimal impact on the environment, making it more sustainable and eco-friendly.

How does a zero impact vehicle travel?

A zero impact vehicle typically uses alternative sources of energy, such as electricity or hydrogen fuel, to power its engine. It may also use regenerative braking, which captures energy from braking and stores it for later use.

What is the distance range for a zero impact vehicle?

The distance range for a zero impact vehicle can vary depending on the type of vehicle and its energy source. However, most zero impact vehicles can travel an average of 9 to 12 meters per charge.

How does a zero impact vehicle benefit the environment?

A zero impact vehicle helps reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, which are major contributors to climate change. It also promotes the use of renewable energy sources and reduces our dependence on fossil fuels.

Are there any limitations to using a zero impact vehicle?

While zero impact vehicles have many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. These vehicles may have a limited range and may take longer to charge compared to traditional vehicles. They may also be more expensive upfront, although they can save money in the long run through reduced fuel costs.

Back