Zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal

In summary, the standard basis can be used to find the vectors Ae_1,\,Ae_2,\ldots,Ae_k for a zero matrix with entries of 1's right above its diagonal, but using these vectors to solve for $A^k$ results in all the vectors taking on the value of 0.
rputra
I am working on this problem which has been baffling me since the beginning: Prove that $A^k = 0$ and $A^{k-1} \neq 0$ if $A_{k \times k}$ is a zero matrix but with entries of 1's right above its diagonal. For example, if $k = 3$ the it will look like this

$$\begin{pmatrix}
0 &1 &0\\
0 &0 &1\\
0 &0 &0\\
\end{pmatrix},$$

with small diagonal of 1's slanted parallel to the main diagonal. The hint I have been getting suggests me to use standard basis vectors. For example, in the case of $k = 3$, we have $e_1 = (1,0,0), \ e_2 = (0,1,0), \ e_3 = (0,0,1)$. Then I need to find out what are $Ae_1, \ Ae_2, \ Ae_3$, etc. After that I have to continue with $A^2 e_1, \ A^2 e_2, \ A^2 e_3,$ etc. But even with these hints, I am still confused. Any help or guidance will be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tarrant said:
I am working on this problem which has been baffling me since the beginning: Prove that $A^k = 0$ and $A^{k-1} \neq 0$ if $A_{k \times k}$ is a zero matrix but with entries of 1's right above its diagonal. For example, if $k = 3$ the it will look like this

$$\begin{pmatrix}
0 &1 &0\\
0 &0 &1\\
0 &0 &0\\
\end{pmatrix},$$

with small diagonal of 1's slanted parallel to the main diagonal. The hint I have been getting suggests me to use standard basis vectors. For example, in the case of $k = 3$, we have $e_1 = (1,0,0), \ e_2 = (0,1,0), \ e_3 = (0,0,1)$. Then I need to find out what are $Ae_1, \ Ae_2, \ Ae_3$, etc. After that I have to continue with $A^2 e_1, \ A^2 e_2, \ A^2 e_3,$ etc. But even with these hints, I am still confused. Any help or guidance will be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help and effort.
The standard basis has the property that for any $k\times k$ matrix $A$, the vectors $Ae_1,\,Ae_2,\ldots,Ae_k$ are given by the columns of $A$. So for example in the case of the matrix $\begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0\\ 0 &0 &1\\ 0 &0 &0\\ \end{bmatrix},$ you can see that $Ae_1$ is the left column of $A$ which is the zero vector. The second column of $A$ tells you that $Ae_2 = e_1$, and the third column tells you that $Ae_3 = e_2.$

Using that information, you can then see what happens to higher powers of $A$. For example, $A^2e_2 = A(Ae_2) = Ae_1 = 0.$

Opalg said:
The standard basis has the property that for any $k\times k$ matrix $A$, the vectors $Ae_1,\,Ae_2,\ldots,Ae_k$ are given by the columns of $A$. So for example in the case of the matrix $\begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0\\ 0 &0 &1\\ 0 &0 &0\\ \end{bmatrix},$ you can see that $Ae_1$ is the left column of $A$ which is the zero vector. The second column of $A$ tells you that $Ae_2 = e_1$, and the third column tells you that $Ae_3 = e_2.$

Using that information, you can then see what happens to higher powers of $A$. For example, $A^2e_2 = A(Ae_2) = Ae_1 = 0.$

Thank you! I did note the properties you mentioned above, however, the big question is: How do you use the properties to arrive at the conclusion that $A^k = 0$ while $A^{k-1} \neq 0$? Thanks again and again, I am sincerely looking forward to hear from you again.

Tarrant said:
The big question is: How do you use the properties to arrive at the conclusion that $A^k = 0$ while $A^{k-1} \neq 0$? Thanks again and again, I am sincerely looking forward to hear from you again.
The effect of $A$ on the basis vector $e_j$ is that $Ae_j= e_{j-1}$ except when $j=1$, in which case $Ae_1=0.$ When you iterate $A$ $n$ times, you find that $A^ne_j = e_{j-n}$ unless $j-n\leqslant0$, in which case $A^ne_j = 0$. (To prove that carefully, you'll probably have to use induction on $n$.)

Now putting $n=k-1$ you see that $A^{k-1}e_k = e_1 \ne0$, so that $A^{k-1} \neq 0$. However, when you put $n=k$ you find that $j-k\leqslant0$, and hence $A^ke_j = 0$, for all $j$. Thus $A^k$ takes all the basis vectors to zero, which means that $A^k=0.$

Opalg said:
The effect of $A$ on the basis vector $e_j$ is that $Ae_j= e_{j-1}$ except when $j=1$, in which case $Ae_1=0.$ When you iterate $A$ $n$ times, you find that $A^ne_j = e_{j-n}$ unless $j-n\leqslant0$, in which case $A^ne_j = 0$. (To prove that carefully, you'll probably have to use induction on $n$.)

Now putting $n=k-1$ you see that $A^{k-1}e_k = e_1 \ne0$, so that $A^{k-1} \neq 0$. However, when you put $n=k$ you find that $j-k\leqslant0$, and hence $A^ke_j = 0$, for all $j$. Thus $A^k$ takes all the basis vectors to zero, which means that $A^k=0.$

Thanks again! I think I should have posted this problem earlier, I have been struggling with this problem for days. This form has been useful for me, I am all for it! Thank you again.

1. What is a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal?

A zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal is a matrix where all the elements below the main diagonal (from top left to bottom right) are equal to zero, while all the elements above the main diagonal are non-zero.

2. How is a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal represented?

A zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal is typically represented as a square matrix with the non-zero elements above the main diagonal and zeros everywhere else. For example, a 3x3 zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal would look like this:

[0 a b]
[0 0 c]
[0 0 0]

3. What is the significance of a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal in mathematics?

A zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal is often used in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra, to represent triangular matrices. These matrices have special properties that make them useful in solving systems of linear equations and other mathematical problems.

4. Can a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal have non-zero elements on the main diagonal?

No, a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal, by definition, has all zeros on the main diagonal. If there are non-zero elements on the main diagonal, then it is not considered a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal.

5. How is a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal different from an upper triangular matrix?

A zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal is a type of upper triangular matrix, but not all upper triangular matrices are zero matrices with non-zero above diagonal. An upper triangular matrix can have non-zero elements on the main diagonal, while a zero matrix with non-zero above diagonal cannot.