1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero Point of field between two charges

1. Mar 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point charges lie along the y-axis. A charge of [itex]q_1 = -9.0 \times 10^{-6}\;C[/itex] is at [itex]y = 6.0m[/itex], and a charge of [itex]q_2 = -8.0 \times 10^{-6}\;C[/itex] is at [itex]y = -4.0m[/itex]. Locate the point (other than infinity) at which the total electric field is zero.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E = \frac{k|Q|}{d^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I know is that it's between the two points. Basically, I don't know how to set this problem (or any like it) up. I'm not asking for the answer, just a nudge in the right direction.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2007 #2
    The E field at any point is a vector.

In 1D (i.e. along the y-axis in your Q) the E field at a given point is either +ve or -ve, so you have to get the signs right. (Your eqn. won't work as is. Remove the magnitude sign.)

Then add the E-field components to find E as a function of y. Diff to find point where dE/dy=0
  4. Mar 20, 2007 #3
    Not sure why it was mentioned to take a derivative, but the rest is okay. (the potential isnt mentioned here)
  5. Mar 20, 2007 #4
    Sorry- you're right. You need to equate the fields to find when they're equal and opposite.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?