Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Zero thickness" error in SOL 600 (Patran)

1. Jul 15, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

I am doing a SOL 600 analysis but Nastran gives me an error of "zero thickness" in some elements. Obviously, I checked those elements and they have properly defined their properties so I don't know what can I do.

I've done a lot of linear and nonlinear static analysis in that model and all of them have run okey, therefore I suppose that the model is well constituted, where could be the problem?

The model is all formed by Quad4 elements and Patran version is 2010.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with Nastran, but other problem solvers give this type of error when the constraints are violated.

For example, the external thickness is limited to 0.010, and the layers add up to 0.010, but the external limit is violated when heat is applied, due to thermal expansion.

4. Jul 17, 2014 #3
    Many thanks for answering.

I tried to define constraints again but anything changed so I've rebuilt my model and surprisingly the problem has disappeared. I am working in a big model with a lot of parts and connectors so that could be the issue. It's a pity that I still don't know why it didn't work properly but now I can continue working so that's all.

Thanks for helping.

5. Jul 21, 2014 #4
    What kind of elements are you using? Sounds alot like an hour-glassing problem that some under-integrated elements suffer from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook