1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeros of Euler's equation, y''+(k/x^2)y=0

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that every nontrivial solution of [itex]y''+\frac{k}{x^2}y=0[/itex] (with [itex]k[/itex] being a constant) has an infinite number of positive zeros if [itex]k>1/4[/itex] and only finitely many positive zeros if [itex]k\le 1/4[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I set [itex]y=x^M = e^{M \log{x}}[/itex] (for some constant M), differentiated twice and put it back into the equation, which gives [itex]M=\frac{1\pm \sqrt{1-4k}}{2}[/itex]. So, [itex]y_1 = x^{\frac{1}{2} (1+\sqrt{1-4k})}[/itex] and [itex]y_2 = x^{\frac{1}{2} (1-\sqrt{1-4k})}[/itex] solves [itex]y''+\frac{k}{x^2}y=0[/itex].

The Wronskian seems to be identially nonzero, so then every solution of [itex]y''+\frac{k}{x^2}y=0[/itex] can be written as [itex]y = C_1 x^{\frac{1}{2} (1+\sqrt{1-4k})} + C_2 x^{\frac{1}{2} (1-\sqrt{1-4k})}[/itex].

The "finitely many positive zeros if [itex]k\le 1/4[/itex]" part follows, but I'm not sure about the "infinite number of positive zeros of [itex]k>1/4[/itex]" part. Obviously the exponents are complex numbers that avoid the real and imaginary axes in that case.

Any other approaches?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2
    I solved it, I think. [itex]y = C_1 x^{\frac{1}{2} (1+\sqrt{1-4k})} + C_2 x^{\frac{1}{2} (1-\sqrt{1-4k})}[/itex] could be written as the composition of sines and cosines of (the monotonic function) [itex]\ln x[/itex] when [itex]k > 1/4[/itex] with a preceding (monotonic) factor [itex]e^{\ln \sqrt{x}}[/itex], so [itex]y[/itex] should have infinitely many solutions in that case.

It turns out that [itex]k=1/4[/itex] makes the Wronskian vanish, so with a bit of effort, [itex]y_3 = x^{1/2}[/itex] and [itex]y_4 = x^{1/2} \ln x[/itex] can be found, which can be shown to be linearly independent solutions in this case. The general solution when [itex]k=1/4[/itex], then, has finitely many zeros in [itex]x>0[/itex].

I think this was somehow a stupid and overly lengthy approach to the problem, though, so suggestions for alternatives are welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook