Register to reply

TI-89 Titanium help

by triden
Tags: ti89, titanium
Share this thread:
triden
Aug25-06, 01:46 AM
P: 173
I just got a TI-89 off ebay for the upcoming school year to help with calc and engineering studies. My old calculator was a ti-83plus and I knew that baby inside and out. I am trying to become familiar with the 89 before school starts, but there is one major thing I can't really figure out (short of reading the manual ).

When I do a calculation and enter in say 30/52, I get out 15/26 instead of a decimal number. How can I change this? Also, are there any good tutorials out there that are recommended?

Cheers,
Chris
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
FrogPad
Aug25-06, 02:07 AM
P: 835
To get a decimal representation, press

<diamond> , <enter>

You can change the way the calculator represents numbers by pressing,

<mode>
go down to

"Exact/Approx"
and change it to auto, exact, or approximate.

you are probably in exact mode right now.

As far as tutorials go, I can't help you with that. If there is something I need (I just assume the calculator can do it), I look it up through google, or use the manual.
Mech_Engineer
Aug30-06, 09:29 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,242
Actually, he's probably in "auto" mode right now. You could change the mode to always spit out decimal numbers ("approx" mode), or you can just add a decimal to one of the numbers in "auto" mode.

In AUTO mode-

30/42 = 5/7

but,

30/42. = .71429

So no decimal gives you the reduced fraction, but adding a decimal point gives you the decimal number.

Also, I highly recommend www.ticalc.org for downloads of user-made programs. You can find all sorts of useful stuff there! You will find many useful math and "science" (a.k.a. engineering) programs in the http://www.ticalc.org/pub/89/basic/ directories (careful you don't get distracted, there are lots of games too lol). Also take note that the TI-89 can run TI-92 Plus BASIC files, so you can look around in there too.

hpaustin
Nov26-06, 10:43 AM
P: 3
TI-89 Titanium help

Need assistance on TI-89 question, can anyone help?
When I attempt to factor, I get a numeric answer.
For example, on page 51 of manual I attempt to factor(x^2-5,x). I get 59.
thnx
Hurkyl
Nov26-06, 10:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,099
I bet you've defined x to be 8. You need to undefine x if you want to use it as a variable!
hpaustin
Nov26-06, 10:47 AM
Thnx for the quick reply. This may be a stupid question for you , but how do I undefine x?
FrogPad
Nov26-06, 11:01 AM
P: 835
go to tools (press F1 - its the menu at the top), go over to Clean Up (press F6), and hit 1: (Clear a-z)
hpaustin
Nov26-06, 11:04 AM
OK!, thanx a million!
z-component
Nov26-06, 06:20 PM
P: 483
Make sure you never store values to the common variables like x, y, z, and t!
MadScientist 1000
Nov26-06, 07:59 PM
P: 94
Remember to put some good games on it too.
ajaber
Jan7-07, 02:48 PM
P: 4
How do u divide polynomials on the ti-89 titanium? i only no how to add and subtract it.
ranger
Jan7-07, 03:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,685
One way of doing it is to do symbolic polynomial division. Basically you just assign each polynomial to a variable:
http://www.brookscole.com/math_d/tem...ial_Division_2
ajaber
Jan7-07, 04:51 PM
P: 4
I did the clean up but when i put the example in it says syntax. and i dont get it when they say to put something about f/g? What did i do wrong? I know everything about electronics inside out but this calculator shut me up. yours truely, the confused one.
ranger
Jan7-07, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
Okay here is what you do [after you clear A-Z]:

1) There are two parts to the fraction, the number being dividend and the one begin the divisor. You have to assign each of these into a variable.

2)Place the divided into a variable, lets call it f. Do the following: x^4+3x^3+7x^2+7x+8 [then hit the STO key] f. Having done this, f will now have the value of the divided number. It appears like this on your screen:
x^4+3x^3+7x^2+7x+8->f

3) Do the same for the divisor. x^2+3x+4 [then hit the STO key] g. Having done this, g will now have the value of the divided number. It appears like this on your screen:
x^2+3x+4->g

4)Then hit F2 and select the desired function. For a case like this, select propFrac().

5)Then enter f/g within the parenthesis of the propFrac function:
propFrac(f/g)

You dont really have to assign the polynomials to variables. You can simply enter the polynomials straight into the propFrac function.
txxp4
Apr30-07, 08:50 AM
P: 2
just got a new ti-89, wondering how to change a decimal to a fraction on it, just a simple thing and cant figure it out, any help?
hirtmd
Aug29-07, 10:32 PM
P: 1
I bought a TI-89 Titanium about a year ago, but since then I have moved from Washington (state) to Virginia. Somewhere in between here and there is the cd that came with my TI-89.
I need to hook it up to my computer for various things, and need the driver off of that cd. Is there anywhere online that would have that driver? I have thoroughly searched the TI websites and have googled my eyes out trying to find this thing. Any help is appreciated.
ranger
Sep1-07, 05:44 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by txxp4 View Post
just got a new ti-89, wondering how to change a decimal to a fraction on it, just a simple thing and cant figure it out, any help?
One way of doing it is to change your mode from approximate to exact.
ranger
Sep1-07, 05:45 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by hirtmd View Post
I bought a TI-89 Titanium about a year ago, but since then I have moved from Washington (state) to Virginia. Somewhere in between here and there is the cd that came with my TI-89.
I need to hook it up to my computer for various things, and need the driver off of that cd. Is there anywhere online that would have that driver? I have thoroughly searched the TI websites and have googled my eyes out trying to find this thing. Any help is appreciated.
You need the TI Connect software.
http://education.ti.com/educationpor...i_connect.html

Register to reply