TI-89 Titanium help

by triden
Tags: ti89, titanium
triden
Aug25-06, 01:46 AM
P: 173
I just got a TI-89 off ebay for the upcoming school year to help with calc and engineering studies. My old calculator was a ti-83plus and I knew that baby inside and out. I am trying to become familiar with the 89 before school starts, but there is one major thing I can't really figure out (short of reading the manual ).

When I do a calculation and enter in say 30/52, I get out 15/26 instead of a decimal number. How can I change this? Also, are there any good tutorials out there that are recommended?

Cheers,
Chris
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
FrogPad
Aug25-06, 02:07 AM
P: 838
To get a decimal representation, press

<diamond> , <enter>

You can change the way the calculator represents numbers by pressing,

<mode>
go down to

"Exact/Approx"
and change it to auto, exact, or approximate.

you are probably in exact mode right now.

As far as tutorials go, I can't help you with that. If there is something I need (I just assume the calculator can do it), I look it up through google, or use the manual.
Mech_Engineer
Aug30-06, 09:29 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
Actually, he's probably in "auto" mode right now. You could change the mode to always spit out decimal numbers ("approx" mode), or you can just add a decimal to one of the numbers in "auto" mode.

In AUTO mode-

30/42 = 5/7

but,

30/42. = .71429

So no decimal gives you the reduced fraction, but adding a decimal point gives you the decimal number.

Also, I highly recommend www.ticalc.org for downloads of user-made programs. You can find all sorts of useful stuff there! You will find many useful math and "science" (a.k.a. engineering) programs in the http://www.ticalc.org/pub/89/basic/ directories (careful you don't get distracted, there are lots of games too lol). Also take note that the TI-89 can run TI-92 Plus BASIC files, so you can look around in there too.

hpaustin
Nov26-06, 10:43 AM
P: 3

TI-89 Titanium help

Need assistance on TI-89 question, can anyone help?
When I attempt to factor, I get a numeric answer.
For example, on page 51 of manual I attempt to factor(x^2-5,x). I get 59.
thnx
Hurkyl
Nov26-06, 10:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
I bet you've defined x to be 8. You need to undefine x if you want to use it as a variable!
hpaustin
Nov26-06, 10:47 AM
Thnx for the quick reply. This may be a stupid question for you , but how do I undefine x?
FrogPad
Nov26-06, 11:01 AM
P: 838
go to tools (press F1 - its the menu at the top), go over to Clean Up (press F6), and hit 1: (Clear a-z)
hpaustin
Nov26-06, 11:04 AM
OK!, thanx a million!
z-component
Nov26-06, 06:20 PM
P: 483
Make sure you never store values to the common variables like x, y, z, and t!
MadScientist 1000
Nov26-06, 07:59 PM
P: 94
Remember to put some good games on it too.
ajaber
Jan7-07, 02:48 PM
P: 4
How do u divide polynomials on the ti-89 titanium? i only no how to add and subtract it.
ranger
Jan7-07, 03:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,686
One way of doing it is to do symbolic polynomial division. Basically you just assign each polynomial to a variable:
http://www.brookscole.com/math_d/tem...ial_Division_2
ajaber
Jan7-07, 04:51 PM
P: 4
I did the clean up but when i put the example in it says syntax. and i dont get it when they say to put something about f/g? What did i do wrong? I know everything about electronics inside out but this calculator shut me up. yours truely, the confused one.
ranger
Jan7-07, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
Okay here is what you do [after you clear A-Z]:

1) There are two parts to the fraction, the number being dividend and the one begin the divisor. You have to assign each of these into a variable.

2)Place the divided into a variable, lets call it f. Do the following: x^4+3x^3+7x^2+7x+8 [then hit the STO key] f. Having done this, f will now have the value of the divided number. It appears like this on your screen:
x^4+3x^3+7x^2+7x+8->f

3) Do the same for the divisor. x^2+3x+4 [then hit the STO key] g. Having done this, g will now have the value of the divided number. It appears like this on your screen:
x^2+3x+4->g

4)Then hit F2 and select the desired function. For a case like this, select propFrac().

5)Then enter f/g within the parenthesis of the propFrac function:
propFrac(f/g)

You dont really have to assign the polynomials to variables. You can simply enter the polynomials straight into the propFrac function.
txxp4
Apr30-07, 08:50 AM
P: 2
just got a new ti-89, wondering how to change a decimal to a fraction on it, just a simple thing and cant figure it out, any help?
hirtmd
Aug29-07, 10:32 PM
P: 1
I bought a TI-89 Titanium about a year ago, but since then I have moved from Washington (state) to Virginia. Somewhere in between here and there is the cd that came with my TI-89.
I need to hook it up to my computer for various things, and need the driver off of that cd. Is there anywhere online that would have that driver? I have thoroughly searched the TI websites and have googled my eyes out trying to find this thing. Any help is appreciated.
ranger
Sep1-07, 05:44 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by txxp4 View Post
just got a new ti-89, wondering how to change a decimal to a fraction on it, just a simple thing and cant figure it out, any help?
One way of doing it is to change your mode from approximate to exact.
ranger
Sep1-07, 05:45 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by hirtmd View Post
I bought a TI-89 Titanium about a year ago, but since then I have moved from Washington (state) to Virginia. Somewhere in between here and there is the cd that came with my TI-89.
I need to hook it up to my computer for various things, and need the driver off of that cd. Is there anywhere online that would have that driver? I have thoroughly searched the TI websites and have googled my eyes out trying to find this thing. Any help is appreciated.
You need the TI Connect software.
http://education.ti.com/educationpor...i_connect.html

Register to reply