Ti 89 not connecting to computer

In summary, the person's calculator stopped working and they replaced the batteries to get it to work again.
doops22
Hi guys, just found this site, hopefully you can give me some help with my calculator. I bought a ti-89 titanium at the beginning of fall semester, roughly 6 months ago. It has connected to my laptop fine since I had it, but just started having trouble the other day. When I connect the USB cable to the calculator, it shuts down within 10-15 seconds. Pushing the On or any other button does nothing, the only way to turn the calculator back on is to pull one of the batteries out and put it back in. As soon as you put the battery back in it restarts and goes back to where it was, without pressing the on button or anything. I got far enough once in TI connect to get the error "ti-89 connected, but couldn't get status". I did some troubleshooting online and tried forcing the loading of OS 2.09, as that is what the ti site recommends, even though my calc has OS 3.10. I could not get the calculator to stay on long enough to load the older OS. I tried resetting the calculator, also no help. This video I made shows what it is doing.

I really need to get this going by wednesday for class. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I got it figured out. I put 4 new AAA batteries in and it works fine. I really didn't think that was it, as I was able to use it for hours after I tried connecting to the computer. Oh well at least I got it.

doops22 said:
I got it figured out. I put 4 new AAA batteries in and it works fine. I really didn't think that was it, as I was able to use it for hours after I tried connecting to the computer. Oh well at least I got it.

I had this problem about a year ago and I ended up returning my calculator..! I would have never thought that changing the batteries would have fixed the problem. :-)

What causes the Ti 89 calculator to not connect to a computer?

There can be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty USB cable, outdated or missing drivers, a damaged calculator port, or a software compatibility issue.

How can I troubleshoot the Ti 89 calculator connection to my computer?

To troubleshoot, try using a different USB cable or port, make sure the calculator is turned on and in the correct mode, check for and install any necessary drivers, and ensure the calculator and computer are compatible.

Why is my computer not recognizing the Ti 89 calculator?

This could be because the calculator is not in the correct mode, the USB cable is damaged, or the computer does not have the necessary drivers installed. It could also be due to a hardware issue with the calculator or computer.

Can I transfer data between my Ti 89 calculator and computer wirelessly?

No, the Ti 89 calculator does not have built-in wireless capabilities. You will need a USB cable to connect it to a computer for data transfer.

How can I update the software on my Ti 89 calculator?

You can update the software by connecting the calculator to a computer and using the TI Connect software to install any available updates. Alternatively, you can download the updates from the Texas Instruments website and transfer them to the calculator via USB.