100000 instead of 10E5 on Ti-89?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter hermtm2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ti-89
In summary, to enter "100000" instead of "10E5" on a Ti-89 calculator, press the "2nd" button followed by the "EE" button and enter the number. The calculator automatically converts large numbers to scientific notation, but this can be changed in the settings. Both notations can be used for calculations, but the calculator may convert the result to scientific notation. To convert from scientific notation to standard notation, enter the exponent as a negative number. The choice between notations is a matter of preference and consistency.
hermtm2
100000 instead of 10E5 on Ti-89?

Hi, guys.

I've been using Ti-89 over 5 years so far. When the huge number such as 10^10 x 10^10 was calculated, it used to show me 1E20. Not anymore. I got 100000000000000000000... instead of 1E20. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org

I don't see any real problem with that but if you want scientific or engineering notation, use the "mode" button and change the "exponential format".

1. How do I enter "100000" instead of "10E5" on a Ti-89 calculator?

To enter a number in scientific notation on a Ti-89 calculator, press the "2nd" button followed by the "EE" button. Then, enter the number you want to be multiplied by 10 to the power of the exponent. In this case, you would enter "100000" after pressing the "EE" button.

2. Why does my Ti-89 calculator automatically convert "100000" to "10E5"?

The Ti-89 calculator has a tendency to automatically convert large numbers to scientific notation for ease of display. You can change this setting by going to "Mode" and selecting "Normal" instead of "Scientific".

3. Can I perform calculations using "100000" instead of "10E5" on a Ti-89 calculator?

Yes, you can perform calculations using either notation on a Ti-89 calculator. However, it is important to note that the calculator will automatically convert the result to scientific notation if it exceeds a certain number of digits.

4. How do I convert a number from scientific notation to standard notation on a Ti-89 calculator?

To convert a number from scientific notation to standard notation on a Ti-89 calculator, press the "2nd" button followed by the "EE" button. Then, enter the exponent as a negative number. For example, if the number is "10E5", enter "-5" after pressing the "EE" button.

5. Is it better to use "100000" or "10E5" on a Ti-89 calculator?

It depends on personal preference and the size of the numbers you are working with. Some people find it easier to work with scientific notation, while others prefer standard notation. Just make sure you are consistent throughout your calculations to avoid errors.