Plotting modulus functions in TI-89 Titanium

In summary, to plot a modulus function on a TI-89 Titanium calculator, enter the function using the "abs(" button, use parentheses around the entire function, and press "GRAPH" to plot. A modulus function returns the distance of a number from zero and always returns a positive value. Multiple modulus functions can be plotted on the same graph using different variables. To adjust the window settings, use the "WINDOW" key and the "+" and "-" keys to change values. TI-89 Titanium emulators can also be used to plot modulus functions on a computer.
NerdyFun
How do I plot modulus functions in TI-89 Titanium? When I enter y1(x)=mod(x), in the y= editor, an error message turns up saying 'Too few arguments'.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Problem solved! You type abs for modulus functions not mod.
Next question: What do you use mod for?

Last edited:
mod() basically returns the remainder after a division. For example, 18 mod 3 returns 0, but 19 mod 3 returns 1. The arguments would be something like mod(#,base). Mods have some pretty cool uses in programming and mathematics :)

1. How do I plot a modulus function on my TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To plot a modulus function on your TI-89 Titanium calculator, follow these steps:

• Press the "Y=" key to enter the function editor.
  • Enter the modulus function using the "abs(" button for absolute value.
  • Make sure to use parentheses around the entire function, including the absolute value.
  • Press "GRAPH" to plot the function.

2. What is a modulus function and how is it different from a regular function?

A modulus function, also known as an absolute value function, is a mathematical function that returns the distance of a number from zero on a number line. The main difference between a modulus function and a regular function is that a modulus function always returns a positive value, while a regular function can return both positive and negative values.

3. Can I plot more than one modulus function on the same graph?

Yes, you can plot multiple modulus functions on the same graph by entering each function into the function editor on separate lines. Make sure to use different variables for each function to avoid confusion.

4. How do I adjust the window settings to see the full graph of a modulus function?

To adjust the window settings on your TI-89 Titanium calculator, follow these steps:

• Press the "WINDOW" key.
  • Use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the setting you want to adjust.
  • Use the "+" and "-" keys to change the value of the setting.
  • Press "GRAPH" to see the updated graph.

5. Can I use a TI-89 Titanium emulator to plot modulus functions on my computer?

Yes, there are several TI-89 Titanium emulators available that allow you to plot modulus functions on your computer. Some popular options include Virtual TI and Wabbitemu. Make sure to follow the same steps as you would on a physical calculator to plot the function.