RE- TI Nspire CX CAS vs Casio Classpad vs TI 89

In summary: In fact, I would strongly discourage students from bringing their laptops to the class, since that would be the most productive use of their time.
mcintyrelr20
HI y'all! I was just told by my programming teacher that I need a new graphing calculator. She told me to decide between the TI 89, Casio Classpad fx-cp400 (or fx cp500) or the TI-Nspire CX C.A.S. I don't know if greyscale or color matters though in the long run. I am a programmer and need something more advanced, but still easy to use. I am also learning higher math right now (calculus, linear and abstract algebra). What would you recommend out of those three? Thanks- mcintyrelr20
:)

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It is hard to believe a programming instructor would recommend the Ti-Nspire as a it is a pretty closed system. The Casio system is far newer and more modern than the other two. The Ti-89 is a very capable, but lacks color and touch screen vs the Casio.
Is learning programming or math the main objective. Some calculators are more aligned to be math tools than calculators, the Ti-Nspire being a prime example. It is a Math tool to learn math with, but an awful calculator to crunch numbers.

Likes George Jones
Programming is the main objective, but i also need to know some math. Thanks for your feedback!

What is a closed system? I know open source software (Such as Linux) let's you edit the source code. Would the cx cas be good or should i go with the 89?

Actually for a simple programming platform, all are fairly good. But you will be learning BASIC or a derivative of BASIC. I would use whatever the instructor plans to use. However, all of these calculators are limited in features and functions compared to any language that you can use on a PC. In fact, if you have access to a laptop, you would be better off using that, than learning any calculator programming. But that is only my opinion.

Thank You! I ended up going with the Nspire cx cas. Thanks for your feedback!

I don't understand why your programming instructor is saying that you need a calculator, particularly a graphing calculator. I've taught many programming classes over the years, in Basic, Fortran, Pascal, Modula-2, C, and C++. There was never a need for the students to have a calculator of any kind.

1. What is the difference between the TI Nspire CX CAS, Casio Classpad, and TI 89 calculators?

The main difference between these calculators is their manufacturer. The TI Nspire CX CAS is made by Texas Instruments, Casio Classpad is made by Casio, and TI 89 is made by Texas Instruments. They also have slightly different features and functionalities, but all three are advanced scientific graphing calculators.

2. Which calculator is the best for high school and college level math courses?

All three calculators are suitable for high school and college level math courses. However, the TI Nspire CX CAS and Casio Classpad are more commonly used and have a wider range of features specifically designed for math courses. The TI 89 also has advanced features, but it is more commonly used in engineering and physics courses.

3. Can all three calculators be used on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT?

Yes, all three calculators are allowed on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT. However, it is important to check the specific guidelines of each test to ensure that the calculator is within the allowed limits.

4. Which calculator has the best user interface?

This is subjective and depends on personal preference. Some users may find the user interface of the TI Nspire CX CAS to be more intuitive, while others may prefer the interface of the Casio Classpad or TI 89. It is recommended to try out each calculator before purchasing to determine which interface is the most user-friendly for you.

5. Are there any significant price differences between these calculators?

Yes, there are price differences between these calculators. The TI Nspire CX CAS and Casio Classpad are generally more expensive than the TI 89. However, the prices may vary depending on the retailer and any promotions or discounts available.