Register to reply

Original TI-89 or Titanium

by dtl42
Tags: original, ti89, titanium
Share this thread:
dtl42
Apr17-07, 07:02 PM
P: 116
Hello all, I am a high school student, who will be taking Calculus I, I need to upgrade from my TI-84+SE so I am considering either the 89 or the Titanium. The only differences I know of are the memory and the processor speed. Are there any other differences?

Which have you guys used and liked?

I already ruled out HP, so don't bother trying to convince me!!!!! (I am a little resistant to change)

I know I cannot use the calculator on the exams or anything, but it will be useful for the SATs and more...

Any input is welcome.
Thanks a lot.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
FrogPad
Apr17-07, 07:03 PM
P: 837
Quote Quote by dtl42 View Post
Hello all, I am a high school student, who will be taking Calculus I, I need to upgrade from my TI-84+SE so I am considering either the 89 or the Titanium. The only differences I know of are the memory and the processor speed. Are there any other differences?

Which have you guys used and liked?

I already ruled out HP, so don't bother trying to convince me!!!!! (I am a little resistant to change)

I know I cannot use the calculator on the exams or anything, but it will be useful for the SATs and more...

Any input is welcome.
Thanks a lot.
Get the titanium. Please please please, get in the habit of only using it to check your answers. Trust me on this.
dtl42
Apr17-07, 07:07 PM
P: 116
Why the Titanium though? Its much more expensive, is the memory and speed worth anything? Does it make a difference?

z-component
Apr17-07, 11:11 PM
P: 483
Original TI-89 or Titanium

Quote Quote by dtl42 View Post
Why the Titanium though? Its much more expensive, is the memory and speed worth anything? Does it make a difference?
I agree with that. My 89 is just as good as the Titanium, just without a USB cable. Yes, the clock is a bit slower but it doesn't make a noticeable difference. I prefer the 89's looks anyway.
FrogPad
Apr17-07, 11:28 PM
P: 837
Not much of a difference. It's nice to have the large amount of ram, but definitely not necessary. I've never come close to filling it, but if I need it, it is there.

The big difference is the USB cable. It makes it VERY easy to transfer data to the device. I've transferred some very useful software to my calculator, and it was very painless using the USB cable.

I wasn't aware of this when I bought the 89, but just so you know. You cannot use it on the PE or FE exam. So as I warned, make sure you do not become too dependent on it.
ranger
Apr19-07, 10:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,684
The original 89 is not in production anymore. So looks like you have no choice. Its not listed in the purchase section on Texas Instruments' website.

Register to reply