Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition vs Ti-Nspire CX

• Calculators
  • Thread starter JRevan913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silver Ti-84
In summary, the Ti-84 Silver Edition C or Ti-Nspire CX (NOT THE CAS) are the best calculators to get for the ACT. They are both capable and will last you through college. If you can wait, wait. If you can't wait, the Ti-84 CE is the best option.
JRevan913
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering which calculator I should get. I'm planning on taking the ACT so I can't get (use) a Ti-89 titanium or a Ti-nspire CX CAS. I'll taking AP Chemistry, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Biology, AP Physics, and AP Computer Science.

Thank You!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd agree if you can't use an 89, an 83 is probably all you'll need.

I <3 my 89 though :D

Likes jedishrfu
Consider just buying a Ti-36 pro for the ACT exam, it will be all you need (probably ALL you will NEED ever), and get the calculator you want ie Ti-89 or whatever catches your fancy later as you learn more about the higher end calculators. I have an older calculator review that you could read about the calculators you are currently considering. It is a dated review, but compares the calculators you are considering.

http://www.rskey.org/DOCUMENTS/buyguide.pdf

It is older and doesn't cover high end apps that are now available for Androids or I-phones which tend to be very good and cheap! I do prefer a good calculator over an app, but a Ti-36 pro can fill that gap.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough but I was deciding between the Ti-84 Silver Edition C or the Ti-Nspire CX (NOT THE CAS). Or should I wait for the new Ti-84 CE? I have 3 years of high school left so I'll get a new calculator in college if I have to. And I was wondering how I should take care of the calculator once I get it (Screen protector, case, carrying case, etc?) Thank You!

If you can wait, wait. If you can get by with a borrowed Ti-83/84 until the Ti-84CE becomes available, you should do so. It is a step up in hardware as it is faster and in a nicer, slimmer package. You will kick yourself if you buy now and see this unit later.

I will say that I like the Ti-84 over the Ti-Nspire for all types of number crunching. However, if you were to concentrate on math only, the Ti-Nspire seems to be a math teaching tool and could possibly be a better buy for a mathematics oriented curriculum.

Why do you like the Ti-84 better?

You could consider me "Old School", in that I like a pocket calculator. Notice I did suggest you consider a pocket calculator when you first asked, because I had mistakenly assumed you were a senior in HS (you did mention taking the ACT), and I figured you had no real need for a graphing calculator at that point.

If you have a real LOVE of math (and only a passing interest in the other sciences), the Ti-Nspire is a great math tool. However, if you need to crunch numbers and use the calculator to crunch out problems relating to real world math, a graphing (or any) calculator will provide you with a better number crunching interface and support your needs for advanced math functions ie you learn the math and then use the calculator to crank out the answers. The Ti-Nspire has a teaching type interface as well as the number crunching mode. I suggest you research a few you-tube videos to determine this subtle difference. The original Ti-Nspire used to offer a Ti-84 keypad to bridge this gap in differences, the new Color versions do not offer this, therefore, you will have no keystroke equivalent to the Ti-84 series to follow along in your classes. Probably not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Admittedly, your own needs might lead you to choose the Ti-Nspire, it is the more capable (powerful) device. But at the HS level, your teachers and other students are much more likely to have, use, and know the Ti-84 calculator.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What is the difference between the Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition and the Ti-Nspire CX?

The Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition and the Ti-Nspire CX are both graphing calculators commonly used in high school and college math and science courses. The main difference between the two is their operating systems. The Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition runs on TI-BASIC, while the Ti-Nspire CX runs on a more advanced operating system called TI-Nspire. This means that the Ti-Nspire CX has more features and capabilities than the Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition.

Which calculator is better for graphing and solving equations?

Both the Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition and the Ti-Nspire CX have similar capabilities when it comes to graphing and solving equations. However, the Ti-Nspire CX has a larger screen and a more advanced operating system, which can make it easier to view and manipulate graphs and equations. Therefore, many students and professionals prefer the Ti-Nspire CX for these tasks.

Is one calculator more user-friendly than the other?

The user-friendliness of a calculator ultimately depends on the individual using it. Some people may find the Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition easier to use because it has a traditional button layout and runs on a simpler operating system. Others may prefer the Ti-Nspire CX for its larger screen and touchscreen capabilities. It is recommended to try out both calculators before deciding which one is more user-friendly for you.

Which calculator is more suitable for programming?

The Ti-Nspire CX is generally considered to be better for programming due to its more advanced operating system and ability to run scripts and programs written in Lua language. However, the Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition also has a programming language called TI-BASIC, so it can still be used for basic programming tasks.

Is there a significant price difference between the two calculators?

The retail price for the Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition is typically lower than the Ti-Nspire CX. However, both calculators can often be found at discounted prices online or through educational discounts. It is recommended to compare prices from different retailers before making a purchase.