TI-89 won't graph whole function?

In summary, if your TI-89 is not graphing the entire function, check for errors in the function and adjust window settings. A "Math Error" may indicate undefined points or invalid input, so double check the function and variables. The TI-89 can graph parametric and polar equations, but make sure to use the correct format and adjust window settings. If the TI-89 is only graphing part of the function, adjust window settings or use the "Zoom" function. To reset the calculator, press "2nd" and then "6" and select "F1."
amantonas
When I try and graph x^(2/3) in my TI-89, it only graphs the half of the graph where x>0.
My TI-84 gives me this:
abthqd.gif

But my TI-89 only gives me the right half. Is one of my settings wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I believe that you can get the same graph given by the TI-84 by going into the "Mode" menu and selecting "Real" as the "Complex Format" type.

Last edited:

1. Why is my TI-89 not graphing the entire function?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that the function is entered correctly and all necessary parentheses and brackets are included. Also, check the window settings to ensure that the graph is not being cut off. If the function is very complex or has multiple parts, it may exceed the graphing capabilities of the TI-89.

2. How do I fix a "Math Error" when trying to graph a function on my TI-89?

A "Math Error" on the TI-89 usually means that the function is undefined at certain points or has an invalid input. Check the function for any potential errors or undefined points, and make sure all necessary variables are defined. You may also need to adjust the window settings to view the entire graph.

3. Can I graph parametric or polar equations on the TI-89?

Yes, the TI-89 has the capability to graph parametric and polar equations. You will need to use the "Parametric" or "Polar" function in the "Y=" menu to enter the equation in the correct format. You can also adjust the window settings to view the entire graph.

4. Why is my TI-89 only graphing part of the function on the screen?

This could be due to the window settings being too small or not including the entire range of the function. Adjust the window settings to include the entire range of the function, or use the "Zoom" function to automatically adjust the window.

5. How do I reset my TI-89 if it is not graphing correctly?

You can reset the TI-89 by pressing the "2nd" button followed by the "6" button, and then selecting "F1" to reset all settings. This will erase any custom settings and return the calculator to its default settings.