Christmas Gift Ideas

by Borek
Tags: christmas, gift, ideas
Borek
Dec10-09, 09:52 AM
Admin
P: 22,712
Share what you plan to buy, what you think could be a good idea, or what you want.

In fact I am looking for ideas as I don't have a gift for Marzena yet
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
lisab
Dec10-09, 09:53 AM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Nice, warm slippers .

Edit - my feet are cold right now, it was the first thing that came into my head haha
qspeechc
Dec10-09, 09:56 AM
P: 792
My sister wants a paper shreader, cos she thinks someone wants to steal her love letters and black mail her or summin like dat. Go figure.

darthoctopus
Dec10-09, 11:32 AM
P: 2

Christmas Gift Ideas

One of these. :D

Actually they're surprisingly easy to make if you can't/won't buy from Thinkgeek. I've made two (for presents) this year.
Pattonias
Dec10-09, 11:33 AM
P: 378
Hight end, netbooks are great.
DVD's are always great for the movie buff.
I know for my sisters taking them shopping is a great gift. Not buying them a gift card, but actually going with them. I think they figure my attendance is some sort of larger sacrifice .

Books are great especially if you manage to find a first addition or a signed copy of a favorite author. Or the rare "book I want but have not gotten yet."

So many things to choose from...
DaveC426913
Dec10-09, 11:51 AM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by darthoctopus View Post
One of these. :D
The description is great. I rolled my eyes and almost didn't finish reading it. But then I did.
imawniumay
Dec10-09, 04:45 PM
P: n/a
I got my girlfriend the newest model of Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation) while my sister will be receiving Apple iPod touch 32 GB Black (3th Generation), also the newest model. I'm sure both of them will love it.
turbo
Dec10-09, 05:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
I bought Duke another Pup Treads rubber bone to give to his friend Max. While in the store, I picked up a lightweight plastic and aluminum shovel with a locking extending handle for my wife to keep in her car. Both seemed pleased.
Sorry!
Dec10-09, 06:03 PM
P: 571
I hope I get a trip to Vegas this year!
DaveC426913
Dec10-09, 06:05 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I picked up a lightweight plastic and aluminum shovel with a locking extending handle for my wife to keep in her car.
Yep. Nothing says you love your wife like buying her a snow shovel.

The Amazing Karnak will now guess what you're going to get for Christmas: a bangshangalang upside the head.
turbo
Dec10-09, 06:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post

The Amazing Karnak will now guess what you're going to get for Christmas: a bangshangalang upside the head.
She drives to work very early, often before the roads are plowed, and she was very happy with the early (practical) gift. She asked "How did you think of this?" and thanked me for remembering that one day last winter she got high-centered on a snowbank at the end of our secondary road and had to dig out with a little military trenching shovel. One year, I bought her a nylon pot-scraper to put in her stocking (we still have it and use it nearly every day after 25 years or so). We are in our 50's, heading for 60, and we don't give a damn for birthday or Christmas gifts (never did), so we try to do little things that are practical and thoughtful. Just before deer-hunting season, I bought myself a new pair of insulated waterproof boots, and she bought me a nice pair of alpaca socks. Our gifts to each other often consist of preparing each others' favorite foods, and serving them in a nice relaxed atmosphere with music, nice wine, etc. We don't need "stuff".

To tell the truth, Duke wasn't all that thrilled with the Pup-Treads rubber bone that I bought for a gift to his buddy Max. It is the ONLY toy that we have bought for him that he has not destroyed with "the jaws of death", and he has wrecked a few of Max's toys while visiting for play-dates. Max is a shepherd/pit-bull mix, and he can keep squeaky toys for weeks months until he maybe loses them in the woods. Duke is a chocolate-lab/boxer mix with jaws of steel, and the only toy that lasts more than about 30 seconds or so is the Pup-Treads bone. When I hook him up on his run outside while I do a few chores, he chews on firewood for entertainment (and shreds it).
GeorginaS
Dec10-09, 08:31 PM
P: 379
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
While in the store, I picked up a lightweight plastic and aluminum shovel with a locking extending handle for my wife to keep in her car.
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
I think my father topped that one the year he bought a bathroom scale as a gift for my mother.

She's said she wanted one! (Not necessarily as a gift, mind.) And, and, and, they were expensive, you know. (I think the detail that my mother was overweight helps this story a bit.)

Yeah, she cried. It was bad. I love childhood memories.
Moonbear
Dec10-09, 08:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
In fact I am looking for ideas as I don't have a gift for Marzena yet
I suggest waiting for Marzena to reply to this thread.
Topher925
Dec10-09, 09:41 PM
P: 1,672
I haven't done ANY of my xmas shopping yet. I'm still clueless as what to get my step mom. What do high school chemsitry teachers like for xmas?
lisab
Dec10-09, 09:47 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
I haven't done ANY of my xmas shopping yet. I'm still clueless as what to get my step mom. What do high school chemsitry teachers like for xmas?
Warm, fuzzy slippers.

Yes my toes are still cold.
Topher925
Dec10-09, 11:24 PM
P: 1,672
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Warm, fuzzy slippers.

Yes my toes are still cold.
Ehhhh.... I dunno. That seems kinda weird. I was thinking of a book or something but I don't really know what her interests are.
rootX
Dec10-09, 11:32 PM
P: 1,295
nothing (I will not be buying any gifts).. I love my $$$ too much :D
GeorginaS
Dec11-09, 12:39 AM
P: 379
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
Ehhhh.... I dunno. That seems kinda weird. I was thinking of a book or something but I don't really know what her interests are.
For one, Marzena is a fantastic photographer. (I know that because of her entries in the photography contests.) So that's one of her interests, for certain, however I'd hazard that she already likely has all of the photography stuff and gizmos she needs and wants. Knowing interests doesn't always help.

Moonbear, I seem to recall Marzena saying in one photography post that her English abilities are fairly limited. She may not be able to read this thread, which is why Borek felt safe posting it in the first place. Just a guess.

Borek, does Marzena enjoy reading? I recall from some of your photo essays that you two enjoy biking trips when the weather is nice. If Marzena enjoys reading, maybe a digital reader to bring along on your bike trips would suit. They're lightweight and portable, so great for storing in a backpack. There are some available in Europe and the UK that aren't horribly expensive and that can make use of online libraries -- such as Google Books -- that has access to all sorts of inexpensive or free books. And are also compatible with pay-for sites too. Just a thought.

Register to reply