Do You Put the $ Amount on Gift Cards?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary: I don't know...freak.In summary, most people put the dollar amount value on the gift card sleeve, but some people don't and just talk to the recipient later to confirm that the gift card is loaded with the correct amount.
kyphysics
If you buy someone a gift card, do you put the dollar amount value on it somewhere (usually on the sleeve it comes with)?

I've done both before, but don't know what the "custom" is. I've given cards to friends without writing an amount and just talking to them later to confirm they got it and it is loaded correctly (wouldn't want some weird demagnetizing of my cards and them not getting anything or an incorrect amt.). Thus, I don't feel a need to write anything.

Other times, I've written it if it's not someone close to me and that I'd call every week.

I guess, in general, I always thought it was tacky to write like $50 (on, say, a Chipotle gift card). I always thought the card/entity (Chipotle) should stand out for itself and a money figure kind of takes away from the "thought" of the gift. It's like...if I bought a friend a computer, I wouldn't write the price tag on the computer! That'd be weird on so many levels. But, I get it...this is a gift card, so like, it's not an actual gift yet...so maybe it'd help them know the amount on it or that should be on it? Is that the logic?

My natural intuition is to think written amounts are tacky. How do you handle these things?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kyphysics! I really don't know, never give, but in case, why tacky?
Merry Christmas!

I would write it down for them so they know immediately and don't have to ask if I forget to tell them.

Likes Fervent Freyja and russ_watters
It would be wise to put down how much is on the card, otherwise they won't know. When they go to purchase and it gets declined because it is over the limit, 'Merry Christmas!'.

Likes russ_watters, Wrichik Basu and sysprog
mcastillo356 said:
Hi kyphysics! I really don't know, never give, but in case, why tacky?
Merry Christmas!
Happy Holidays to you too!

Well...I guess it always felt like it violated the sentiment that "It's the thought that counts." (not the price of it). In American culture, there is this saying/sentiment.

You NEVER write a $ amount on any other gift you give based on American custom. But, with gift cards, people often do. ...Again, I understand it can help the recipient know the amount, but I figure all they have to do is check the amount online/phone to verify it is loaded later.

I think I'm in the minority on this view, though. Most people do write $ amoutns. A few close relatives of mine do not write them. We just talk about it later. The $ doesn't matter. It's the "thought" that matters. That's what I'd want them to focus on immediately (not some $ amount).

Likes mcastillo356
StevieTNZ said:
It would be wise to put down how much is on the card, otherwise they won't know. When they go to purchase and it gets declined because it is over the limit, 'Merry Christmas!'.
There's always some code you can enter online or a phone number you can call to find out when you want.

kyphysics said:
There's always some code you can enter online or a phone number you can call to find out when you want.
It is just common sense to be upfront and tell how much is on the gift card instead of them going on some endeavour to find out how much you spent on them. plane @ simple

Likes russ_watters
A gift card is similar to cash, but cash has the amount already on it. So why not write it down on the card?

Likes Fervent Freyja, russ_watters and jtbell
Maybe add some creativity, make it a math puzzle or Roman numerals.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Hamiltonian, DennisN, kyphysics and 1 other person
kyphysics said:
"It's the thought that counts."

Lovely reason

• Love
Likes kyphysics
JT Smith said:
Maybe add some creativity, make it a math puzzle or Roman numerals.
My girlfriend just put a bunch of gift cards and cash into some plastic cases that force you to move a small ball through a maze to the end to be able to open and get the gift.

Likes DennisN
In the old days, it was paper vouchers as gift tokens and they had the amount printed on them.

Given that they're going to find out sooner or later how much is on it, it makes no sense to not put that on it somewhere, but I understand what you mean.

rsk said:
Given that they're going to find out sooner or later how much is on it, it makes no sense to not put that on it somewhere, but I understand what you mean.
Yeah, I'm just a weirdo with this, I guess. lol. Most people agree with your logic. I guess I'll just put it in smaller numbers or something.

I remember as a kid my parents would sometimes give me money in a birthday card. I'd FIRST look at the money and then MAYBE read the card. I swear I was such a crummy kid at times that I didn't even read the card for a while at times! I'd just grab the cash and run. It's like I judged the gift by the dollar amount. That sort of attitude sucks!

I guess maybe I was slightly reminded of that part. Nowadays, I don't care what is on a gift card. I don't care what the cash portion is...I'll leave it in there and not look. I read the card and words first.

kyphysics said:
I remember as a kid my parents would sometimes give me money in a birthday card. I'd FIRST look at the money and then MAYBE read the card. I swear I was such a crummy kid at times that I didn't even read the card for a while at times! I'd just grab the cash and run. It's like I judged the gift by the dollar amount. That sort of attitude sucks!
I think most people have that attitude, especially when young.
I'm think I remember my Dad telling me, "Always read the card first before looking at whatever is inside."
Good words.

kyphysics said:
If you buy someone a gift card, do you put the dollar amount value on it somewhere (usually on the sleeve it comes with)?
I have no preference.
kyphysics said:
My natural intuition is to think written amounts are tacky. How do you handle these things?
You can send me two gift cards, one with the amount written and one without the amount written, and afterwards I can tell you which one I liked the most. :biggrin:

Likes Hamiltonian and Drakkith
kyphysics said:
Yeah, I'm just a weirdo with this, I guess. lol. Most people agree with your logic. I guess I'll just put it in smaller numbers or something.

I feel the same way as you. I think it's a little tacky to put the number there but at the same time realize that they will want to know and will find out eventually.

I just bought a gift card for my niece yesterday. It was a cosmetics place she likes and I was thinking about this thread, what am I going to actually do? Well, they solved the problem for me. They told me they include a little slip of paper with the amount on it in the sealed envelope.

So no chance for creativity with the seeing the amount as it will be right there and easy to read. But just for fun I made the amount an odd number of dollars and cents.

Drakkith said:
I think most people have that attitude, especially when young.
I'm think I remember my Dad telling me, "Always read the card first before looking at whatever is inside."
Good words.
I guess I've changed. When it's someone I know who doesn't have a lot of money, it makes it very different. I literally don't care what they give. I know they can barely afford it. They may have even had to save up. I'm just thankful for their card and want to see what they wrote. When it's a person close to me + they are kinda poor...oh man, I've actually left a Target gift card unchecked for one month. Just read the card, put it on my desk and didn't care. I value the person.

It was $40...but who cares.

Likes Drakkith
This discussion reminds me of this song released in 2009:

And yes, I prefer money as gifts than anything else.

kyphysics said:
Well...I guess it always felt like it violated the sentiment that "It's the thought that counts." (not the price of it). In American culture, there is this saying/sentiment.

You NEVER write a $ amount on any other gift you give based on American custom. But, with gift cards, people often do.
For a non-cash gift the monetary value doesn't matter. For a cash gift, the monetary value is the value.
kyphysics said:
...Again, I understand it can help the recipient know the amount, but I figure all they have to do is check the amount online/phone to verify it is loaded later.
Because it's thoughtful to make the recipient do extra work to use the present?

russ_watters said:
For a non-cash gift the monetary value doesn't matter. For a cash gift, the monetary value is the value.

Your last sentence is why I ultimately do write it on there 90% of the time.

My family/close friends don't care...everyone else, yeah, I do it so they partially don't have to work to find the value.

russ_watters said:

It might be useful to have a tool handy to check how much of the spent gift card is remaining. Otherwise declare the amount loaded onto it. As Chooky would say, 'plane @ simple'.

Likes russ_watters

What is the purpose of putting the $ amount on gift cards?

Putting the $ amount on gift cards allows the recipient to know the exact value of the gift card and use it accordingly. It also helps in keeping track of the remaining balance on the gift card.

Do all gift cards have the $ amount printed on them?

No, not all gift cards have the $ amount printed on them. Some gift cards may only have a barcode or serial number, while others may have the $ amount printed along with the barcode or serial number.

Can the $ amount on a gift card be changed?

No, the $ amount on a gift card cannot be changed once it has been printed or encoded. Gift cards are pre-loaded with a specific amount and cannot be altered.

Why are some gift cards pre-loaded with a set $ amount?

Gift cards are pre-loaded with a set $ amount to ensure that the recipient is able to use the gift card for its intended purpose. It also helps in avoiding any discrepancies or misunderstandings regarding the value of the gift card.

Can the $ amount on a gift card expire?

Yes, the $ amount on a gift card can expire depending on the terms and conditions set by the issuer. Some gift cards may have an expiration date, while others may have a maintenance fee that can reduce the value of the gift card over time.