Scientific Magazines: Best Gift Ideas for Bright & Curious Teenagers

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, the quality of Scientific American has decreased, and Scientific American no longer offers the same level of content as it used to.
DrClaude
Mentor
Once upon a time, I was subscribed to Scientific American. Once upon another time, I use to regularly read the New Scientist at a library.

Does any know the quality of these magazines these days? I am looking for gift ideas for a bright and curious teenager.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scientific American is nowhere near what it was.

Likes Astronuc, Tom.G, bhobba and 2 others
I subscribed to Science News for a number of years (back before the Internet), and really enjoyed it. Each issue was small enough to read from cover-to-cover in a couple of hours, and I generally was able to keep up with the issues. I don't know how the current on-line version compares, but it does look like they offer subscriptions:

https://www.sciencenews.org/

Likes Astronuc, Ivan Seeking, Bystander and 1 other person
berkeman said:
I subscribed to Science News for a number of years (back before the Internet), and really enjoyed it. Each issue was small enough to read from cover-to-cover in a couple of hours, and I generally was able to keep up with the issues. I don't know how the current on-line version compares, but it does look like they offer subscriptions:

I had never heard of Science News, but it looks great.

Likes berkeman
Keith_McClary said:
1608073194573.png

Maybe finding what will excite him and initiate his own learning depends on how he prefers to take in information? Some people cannot tolerate learning from popular sources! And that’s all many people can tolerate! Does he prefer and enjoy complexity? Like working through textbooks, reading papers? Maybe he needs something hands-on with learning? And in that case, maybe instruments and adult “toys” concerning his primary interests, with accompanying literature?

It’s tough, all you can do is try to find the best gift that you think will trigger even more curiosity and learning—- literature surroundings mysteries in science seems to be a good driver for that age. If he’s already bright and curious then the simple act of support with any science-related gift could be highly encouraging, especially if that’s lacking from other adults around him!

One thing that would probably excite him and help you mentor him remotely throughout the years is occasionally sending used books that you love yourself or that you really think he’d love. I’ve been doing this for years for my nephew.

Some great links were listed above- you could probably print that out and put it in a card in addition to the gift you choose!

Vanadium 50 said:
Scientific American is nowhere near what it was.

Absolutely. When I was very young - early teens or so - avidly read every issue. But for some reason switched to Omni. When it folded went back to Scientific America and noticed a definite drop. Now I do not read any general science magazine. I think there is a 'niche' for a magazine more like Susskind's books that use some math.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Absolutely. When I was very young - early teens or so - avidly read every issue. But for some reason switched to Omni.

So did Scientific American! <rimshot>

Likes bhobba and Astronuc
Scientific American used to have stuff you could actually DO in it; for instance the Amateur Scientist column.

Since it was purchased by Springer it is now a 'popular' version of Nature magazine, with the same boring format, i.e. Each article is presented three times: First there is a paragraph or three of all the articles grouped together, followed by a page or so about each article, finally comes the article itself, which generally just reports some research.

I find it not conducive to any creativity. I read- subscribed to- it since about 1960 and gave up about 18 months after it was bought out. :cry: :cry:

berkeman said:

I had every copy going back many years. I subscribed to many periodicals including Scientific American, for decades. But by far I got the biggest bang for the buck out of Science News.

Likes Astronuc and berkeman
About six or seven months ago I renewed my subscriptions to Astronomy and Sky and Telescope. They're still pretty good, I suppose. (If I had to choose between the two, I might choose Sky and Telescope, but that would toss up. And I own a telescope, so I guess that's another reason.)

And while I don't have any direct evidence, I'm willing to bet that their subscriptions rates (as in number of people subscribed -- not the subscription price) have gone through the roof lately, based in part on the unprecedented backorder times of any and all amateur astronomy equipment. Higher subscription rates can only help their financials, and hopefully will result in improved content.

Of course, getting a magazine subscription is easy; finding a quality telescope without waiting for many months is a different story.

[Edit: Oh, and yes, part of the reason for long backorders for astronomy equipment is surely the pandemic itself. That said, I'm also led to believe that the general interest in astronomy is higher now than it has been in many decades.]

Last edited:
Thanks to all that have replied so far.

To be clear, I am asking only about printed magazines.

I am currently leaning towards Science News is the "news" aspect. Many magazines tend to have themed issues ("What is intelligence?", "Black holes", etc.) that simply give brief presentations of topics that are better covered in books.

I've seen some good articles come out of MIT Technology Review magazine, though I've mainly only read their coverage of the biomedical sciences: https://www.technologyreview.com/

Likes DrClaude

1. What are the benefits of gifting a scientific magazine to a teenager?

Scientific magazines provide a fun and engaging way for teenagers to learn about various scientific topics. They can enhance their knowledge, critical thinking skills, and curiosity about the world around them. Additionally, reading scientific magazines can improve their reading and analytical skills.

2. How do I choose the best scientific magazine for a teenager?

When choosing a scientific magazine for a teenager, consider their interests and reading level. Look for magazines that cover a wide range of scientific topics and have colorful and engaging visuals. You may also want to choose a magazine that offers hands-on activities or experiments for the teenager to try.

3. Can scientific magazines be a source of accurate and reliable information?

Yes, reputable scientific magazines undergo a rigorous review process to ensure that the information presented is accurate and backed up by scientific evidence. However, it is always important to critically evaluate any information and seek out multiple sources.

4. Are there any interactive elements in scientific magazines for teenagers?

Many scientific magazines for teenagers include interactive elements such as quizzes, puzzles, and hands-on experiments. These can make learning more engaging and fun for teenagers and help them apply their newfound knowledge.

5. Are there any online options for scientific magazines?

Yes, there are many online options for scientific magazines for teenagers. Some magazines have digital versions that can be accessed on a computer or tablet, while others have their own websites with additional content and activities. Online options may also offer a more affordable and eco-friendly alternative to print magazines.