Velocity of blood through aorta

In summary, the velocity of blood through the aorta can vary greatly due to factors such as cardiac output, stroke volume, heart rate, cross sectional area of the aorta, and orientation and metabolic state of the individual. The peak flow velocity is typically around 100 cm/s, but can be influenced by various factors. Early measurements on flow velocity of blood led to the discovery of kinetic energy and the law of conservation of mechanical energy.
engineer23
Does anyone know the velocity of blood through the aorta? I have a problem that involves an ultrasound probe and I need to know which velocites of blood I should design for. I know cardiac output is stroke volume x heart rate, but a) what are the range of values for stroke volume and b) how do I correlate flow rate to velocity?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
OK, I think I had an epiphany since I posted a few minutes ago...Cardiac output is 5L/min...I can convert this to cubic feet min and divide by the cross sectional area of the aorta to get a velocity. But what are the upper and lower limits on the radius of the aorta?

The blood flow in the aorta is highly pulsatile and even goes retrograde during part of diastole. Also the aorta is highly distensible (in healthy people) and so the cross sectional area of the aorta is not constant either. Basically, your epiphany is a nice idea, but the reality is a little more complicated.

A good rule of thumb is that the peak flow velocity is about 100 cm/s, but again this is the peak velocity not the average velocity. Also, the peak velocity depends on orientation (standing vs. supine) and metabolic state (resting vs. exercise) http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=481953

Last edited:
On a side note, the earliest definitions of kinetic energy and the first suggestion of the law of conservation of mechanical energy arose from measurements that Bernoulli was performing on the flow velocity of blood (when he noticed that if you cut off a limb, the height to which the blood spurted out was proportional to the square root of the flow speed :biggrin:).

1. What is the average velocity of blood through the aorta?

The average velocity of blood through the aorta is about 0.3-0.35 meters per second.

2. What factors can affect the velocity of blood through the aorta?

The velocity of blood through the aorta can be affected by various factors such as blood pressure, heart rate, and diameter of the aorta.

3. How does the body regulate the velocity of blood through the aorta?

The body regulates the velocity of blood through the aorta through the autonomic nervous system, which controls heart rate and blood pressure. The body also uses vasodilation and vasoconstriction to adjust the diameter of the aorta.

4. What is the significance of the velocity of blood through the aorta?

The velocity of blood through the aorta is important as it determines the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the body's tissues. It also affects the workload of the heart and can be an indicator of cardiovascular health.

5. How is the velocity of blood through the aorta measured?

The velocity of blood through the aorta can be measured using various techniques such as Doppler ultrasound, cardiac catheterization, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). These methods allow for non-invasive and accurate measurement of blood velocity in the aorta.