Understanding the Cardiac Cycle: Diastole & Systole

In summary, the cardiac cycle begins with both atria and ventricles in a relaxed state (atrial and ventricular diastole). The atria then fill with blood from the pulmonary vein and vena cava, and this passive flow of blood into the ventricles causes them to fill to 70% of their capacity. This increase in pressure in the ventricles leads to the closing of the AV valves. Next, the atria contract (atrial systole) and blood flows through the open AV valves into the ventricles, filling them to 100% of their capacity. The AV valves then close and the atria relax (atrial diastole).The next phase is ventricular systole, where
Daniel2244
I am unsure about the underlined parts of the cardiac cycle. I was taught that the cardiac cycle started when the blood flowed into the atrium, but wouldn't there be a period when both artia and ventricles are at diastole simultaneously?

For the second underlined part I was taught and read that 70% of blood flows unimpeded into the ventricles during diastole. However, they never mentioned how they shut for when they opened again during atrial systole. So, I used what I knew to make a guess, but I am unsure.

1. At the start of the cardiac cycle the atria and ventricles are relaxed. atrial and ventricular diastole.
2. Both atria fill with blood from the pulmonary vein and vena cava.
3. Blood travels passively down into the ventricles filling them to 70% of their capacity, pressure in the ventricles increase above the pressure of the atria closing the AV valves.
4. Both atria contract and blood flows down through the atrioventricular vales into the ventricles (to 100% their capacity). The AV valves open due to an increase in pressure in the both atria. Atrial Systole
5. The Atria relax. Atrial Diastole
6. The AV valves close due to the ventricles having a higher pressure than both atria, preventing back flow and creating the heart beat sound “lub”.
7. The ventricle walls contract from the apex of the heart upwards increasing the pressure in the ventricles forcing the semi-lunar valves to open. This forces blood to flow up into the pulmonary artery and aorta. Ventricular systole
8. The ventricles relax. Ventricular diastole
9. Pressure in the ventricles fall below that in both atria.
10. High blood pressure in the aorta and pulmonary artery rise causing the semi-lunar valves to shut preventing back flow. This produces the second heart sound “dub”.
11. Blood flows once more from the vena cava and pulmonary veins into the left and right atrium, starting the whole cycle again.

Biology news on Phys.org
800px-2027_Phases_of_the_Cardiac_Cycle.jpg

Source: Wikipedia
Daniel2244 said:
At the start of the cardiac cycle the atria and ventricles are relaxed. atrial and ventricular diastole.
You are referring to Early Ventricular Diastole as in the above diagram. #1 and #2 are related, in the sense that atria start getting filled in #1 itself. You cannot clearly distinguish where #1 ends and #2 starts.

In #2, also include the coronary sinus.
Daniel2244 said:
pressure in the ventricles increase above the pressure of the atria closing the AV valves
I cannot confirm this, because I haven't read it before. I believe before the valve closes, the systolic of atria starts. Some doctor-cum-professor can confirm this.

Attachments

• 800px-2027_Phases_of_the_Cardiac_Cycle.jpg
    800px-2027_Phases_of_the_Cardiac_Cycle.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 382
Likes berkeman and Daniel2244
Wrichik Basu said:
You are referring to Early Ventricular Diastole as in the above diagram. #1 and #2 are related, in the sense that atria start getting filled in #1 itself. You cannot clearly distinguish where #1 ends and #2 starts.

In #2, also include the coronary sinus.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is the cardiac cycle?

The cardiac cycle refers to the sequence of events that occur during one complete heartbeat. It includes both diastole (relaxation) and systole (contraction) phases of the heart.

2. What is diastole?

Diastole is the relaxation phase of the cardiac cycle, during which the heart muscles relax and the heart chambers fill with blood. This phase is important for allowing the heart to rest and refill with oxygen-rich blood.

3. What is systole?

Systole is the contraction phase of the cardiac cycle, during which the heart muscles contract and pump blood out of the heart and into the rest of the body. This phase is essential for delivering oxygen and nutrients to the body's tissues.

4. How long does the cardiac cycle last?

The duration of the cardiac cycle varies depending on the heart rate, but on average it lasts about 0.8 seconds. This includes 0.4 seconds of diastole and 0.4 seconds of systole.

5. What factors can affect the cardiac cycle?

The cardiac cycle can be influenced by various factors, including age, physical activity, stress, and certain medical conditions. These can affect the heart rate and the duration of the diastole and systole phases, potentially impacting the overall functioning of the heart.