Calculating Capillary Amount Given Aorta Blood Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of capillaries in the circulatory system when given the rate of blood flow in the aorta and the average diameter of a capillary. The equations of continuity are used to determine the number of capillaries. It is noted that the diameter of the aorta is not provided and may need to be requested from the teacher.
casualdehyde

Homework Statement

When the rate of blood flow in the aorta is 5 litres per minute, the speed in the capillaries is about 0.33 mm per second. If the average diameter of a capillary is 8 microns (0.008 mm), calculate the number of capillaries in the circulatory system.

Homework Equations

Flow rate = volume/time - 1
Flow rate = Area x average velocity - 2
General form of equation of continuity: n1A1v1 = n2A2v2 - n1 and n2 = number of tube branches - 3 (rearrange to make n2 the subject)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm pretty sure I know how to solve this equation (find velocity of aorta by using equation 2 (replacing area with pi x r^2) and then subbing in all know variables to equation 3 to find n2 (number of capillaries). The problem is that my question hasn't provided me with the diameter of the aorta which I need to find the v1.

First Convert 5.0L/min into m^3 and seconds - 5.0L/min x 10^-3 m^3/L x 1min/60s = 1/12000m^3/s.
I would then divide this by the pi x r^2 to get velocity 1 (v1).

Now that I know all of the variables I can find n2.

n2 = n1A1v1/A2v2
= (1 x (pi x radius of aorta^2) x v1 found above)/(pi x (4x10^-6m)^2 x (0.33 x 10^-3 m/s) = Answer

(sorry for the mess I have no idea how to use latex, I just discovered this forum tonight!)
Is there another way to do this question or do I need to ask my teacher for a diameter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

What is the purpose of calculating capillary amount given aorta blood flow?

The purpose of calculating capillary amount given aorta blood flow is to determine the amount of blood that is passing through the capillaries, which are the smallest blood vessels in the body. This information is important for understanding the overall blood flow and circulation in the body.

What is the formula used to calculate capillary amount?

The formula used to calculate capillary amount is: Capillary Amount = Aorta Blood Flow / Capillary Blood Flow. This formula takes into account the aorta blood flow, which is the amount of blood pumped out of the heart, and the capillary blood flow, which is the amount of blood flowing through the capillaries.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated capillary amount?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated capillary amount, including the condition of the capillaries, the viscosity of the blood, and the overall health of the individual. Additionally, any errors in measuring the aorta blood flow or capillary blood flow can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

How is the aorta blood flow measured?

The aorta blood flow can be measured using various techniques, such as Doppler ultrasound, echocardiography, and cardiac catheterization. These methods allow for non-invasive or minimally invasive measurement of the blood flow in the aorta.

What is the importance of knowing the capillary amount in medical research?

Knowing the capillary amount is crucial in medical research as it provides insight into the function of the cardiovascular system and can help diagnose and monitor various diseases and conditions. It also allows for the development of new treatments and therapies for cardiovascular disorders.