TI-89 Titanium batteries Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential issue with a TI-89 Titanium calculator not turning on, despite changing the AAA batteries. The possible solution is to check and replace the silver oxide backup battery, which can be accessed by removing the battery cover and screw. The user manual provides further instructions for replacing the backup battery.
jksik92
I use TI-89 Titanium normally.

It was not even a month since I changed my batteries.

One day I pressed on but did not turn on.

I tried out other batteries and found out that batteries were not the matter of problem.

What's wrong?

What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Your calculator contains two kinds of batteries: the three AAA batteries that you changed not long ago, and a silver oxide backup battery. Your problem might be that the backup battery is dead. Here's some information from the user manual for your calculator - http://education.ti.com/downloads/guidebooks/graphing/89ti/TI89TitaniumGuidebook_Part2_EN.pdf

1. To replace the silver oxide backup battery, remove the battery cover and unscrew
    the tiny screw holding the BACK UP BATTERY cover in place.
  2. Remove the old battery and install a new SR44SW or 303 battery, positive (+) side
    up. Replace the cover and the screw.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest first checking the battery compartment to make sure there are no loose connections or debris that could be affecting the battery's performance. If the compartment appears to be in good condition, the next step would be to try resetting the calculator by removing the batteries and holding down the "APPS" key for 10 seconds before reinstalling the batteries. If this does not solve the issue, it is possible that there is a malfunction with the calculator itself and it may need to be repaired or replaced. It is also important to note that constantly using the calculator with the backlight on or running complex programs can drain the batteries faster, so it may be helpful to conserve battery life by adjusting the backlight or limiting the use of intensive programs.

1. What type of battery does the TI-89 Titanium use?

The TI-89 Titanium uses four AAA alkaline batteries.

2. How long do the batteries typically last on the TI-89 Titanium?

The battery life can vary depending on usage, but typically the batteries on the TI-89 Titanium can last for several months to a year.

3. Can I use rechargeable batteries on the TI-89 Titanium?

Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries on the TI-89 Titanium. However, it is recommended to use high-quality rechargeable batteries to ensure optimal performance.

4. How do I know when the batteries on my TI-89 Titanium need to be replaced?

When the battery indicator on the calculator's screen shows a low battery symbol, it is time to replace the batteries.

5. Can I use a USB cable to power my TI-89 Titanium instead of using batteries?

No, the TI-89 Titanium does not have a USB port for power. It can only be powered by batteries.