Register to reply

Fluid Mechanics::'Deriving' Incompressible Flow Criteria

Share this thread:
Saladsamurai
Nov11-09, 01:44 PM
P: 3,015
Here we go....

My text attempts to 'derive' an expression that explains when a flow is compressible or not:

]When is a given flow approximately incompressible? We can derive a nice criterion by playing a little fast and loose with density approximations....
Great ... if there's anything I like better than making density approximations, it's playing 'fast and loose' with them.

He then goes on to say:
..In essence, we wish to slip the density out of the divergence in the continuity equation and approximate a typical term as
[tex]\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{x}} (\rho u)\approx\rho\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}} \qquad (1)[/tex]

This is equivalent to the strong inequality

[tex]

|u\frac{\partial{\rho}}{\partial{x}}|\ll |\rho\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}| \qquad (2)

[/tex]

or

[tex]

|\frac{\delta\rho}{\rho}|\ll|\frac{\delta V}{V}| \qquad (3)
[/tex]
I am completly baffled as to how we went from (1) to (2) ...let alone from (2) to (3)?
Any thoughts?

Casey
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
tiny-tim
Nov11-09, 03:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi Casey!

∂(ρu)/∂x = u∂ρ/∂x + ρ∂u/∂x,

so if u∂ρ/∂x << ρ∂u/∂x, we can ignore it, and then ∂(ρu)/∂x ~ ρ∂u/∂x.

(2) to (3) is simply rearrangement (and changing u to V for some reason which escapes me)
Saladsamurai
Nov11-09, 04:07 PM
P: 3,015
Oh...that darned chain rule! Thanks tiny-tim.

Also, silly question, but why did we change the ∂'s into [itex]\delta[/itex]'s ?

Is it because the (∂x)'s 'canceled' and thus it is no longer a derivative, but just a relation between 'changes?'

arildno
Nov11-09, 04:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Fluid Mechanics::'Deriving' Incompressible Flow Criteria

(2) to (3) is based upon the fact that this argument must be repeated for the v and w-components as well, and hence, that the relative infinitesemal change in density must be much less than the relative infinitesemal change in the maximal velocity component, and hence, much less than the relative infinitesemal change in the fluid speed.

Register to reply