Potential Flow Theory: Circulation and the Kutta-Jukowski Theorem

In summary, The convention for the circulation variable ##\Gamma## in potential flow theory is that a positive value indicates a counter-clockwise circulation. This is supported by the stream function and velocity equations for circulatory flow around a cylinder. The value of ##\Gamma## is directly related to the rotational velocity of the cylinder, not inversely as sometimes suggested. For a flow around a cylinder with a superimposed circulation, the stagnation points will be located at a negative value of ##\sin(\theta)##, indicating movement towards the lower half of the cylinder.
Master1022
Hi,

I just had a quick question about conventions in potential flow theory:
Question: What is the convention for ## \Gamma ## for the streamline ## \Psi = \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi} ln(\frac{r}{a} ) ## and how can we interpret the Kutta-Jukowski Theorem ## Lift = - \rho U \Gamma ##?

Approach:
For the first part, am I correct in thinking that ## \Gamma ## indicates a clockwise circulation? This is supported by the fact that
$$ v_{\theta} = - \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial \theta} = - \frac{\Gamma}{2 \pi r} $$
where ## \theta ## is defined to be defined as anti-clockwise from the +ve x axis. I was confused as I had seen diagrams on the internet where they have suggested that ## + \Gamma ## indicates an anticlockwise circulation. Another quick question I have is: is gamma the circulation of the fluid or the cylinder? If it's the former, does that mean that if the cylinder is rotating (e.g. CW) we take the circulation as being of equal 'strength' in the CCW direction?

For the second part, I have done the integration to get the result that ## Lift = - \rho U \Gamma ## where Lift has been defined in the +ve y-direction. However, I don't think I really understand what this means. So this formula predicts that there will be a positive lift in the y-direction when there is an anticlockwise circulation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The stream function for circulatory flow is actually:
$$
\Psi = -\frac{\Gamma}{2 \pi} \ln \left( \frac{r}{a}\right)
$$
So with a minus sign. This means that ##v_\theta = \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi r}## and thus a positive ##\Gamma## means counter clockwise flow.

The stream function is valid for a flow around a cylinder of radius ##a##. On this cylinder the flow direction and velocity is equal to the velocity of the edge of the cylinder. Therefore a positive ##\Gamma## denotes a flow around a cylinder spinning also in counter clockwise direction. Note that ##\Gamma = 2\omega (\pi r^2)## where ##\omega## is the rotational velocity of the cylinder. So ##\Gamma## and the rotation of the cylinder are directly related, not inversely as you suggest.

For your last question, a CW rotating cylinder with flow from left to right generates an upward force on the cylinder.

• Informative
Likes Master1022
Arjan82 said:
The stream function for circulatory flow is actually:
$$
\Psi = -\frac{\Gamma}{2 \pi} \ln \left( \frac{r}{a}\right)
$$
So with a minus sign. This means that ##v_\theta = \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi r}## and thus a positive ##\Gamma## means counter clockwise flow.

The stream function is valid for a flow around a cylinder of radius ##a##. On this cylinder the flow direction and velocity is equal to the velocity of the edge of the cylinder. Therefore a positive ##\Gamma## denotes a flow around a cylinder spinning also in counter clockwise direction. Note that ##\Gamma = 2\omega (\pi r^2)## where ##\omega## is the rotational velocity of the cylinder. So ##\Gamma## and the rotation of the cylinder are directly related, not inversely as you suggest.

For your last question, a CW rotating cylinder with flow from left to right generates an upward force on the cylinder.

Many thanks for the clarification @Arjan82 !

If we superimposed this circulation on a flow around a cylinder (with radius ## a ##) from left to right to get:
$$ \Psi = Ursin(\theta)\left( 1 - \frac{a^2}{r^2} \right) - \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi} ln \left( \frac{r}{a} \right) $$
Intuitively, I would expect ## - \Gamma ## (pointing in the -ve CCW = CW direction) to push the stagnation points to the lower half of the cylinder. However, going through the mathematics, I end up with the condition for ## v_{\theta} = 0 ## occurs at:
$$ sin(\theta) = \frac{\Gamma}{4 \pi a U} $$
Is this technically a -ve value as ## \Gamma ## is defined in the opposite direction to ## \theta ##? If that isn't the case, the a positive angle would suggest the stagnation points have been moved to the upper half of the cylinder (which doesn't agree with the diagram I have seen)

Thanks.

We need to be careful with definitions here. The stream function for a rotating cylinder in a horizontal flow is:
$$
\Psi = U\left(r-\frac{a^2}{r}\right)\sin(\theta) - \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi}\ln\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)
$$
as indeed you state, with U from left to right positive. This means that
$$
v_\theta = -\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial r} = -U \sin(\theta)\left(1+\frac{a^2}{r^2}\right) + \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi r}
$$
And on a cylinder ##r = a##, thus
$$
v_\theta = -2U \sin(\theta) + \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi a}
$$
At a stagnation point ##v_\theta = 0## such that
$$
sin(\theta) = \frac{\Gamma}{4 \pi a U}
$$
So, you have it correct. For the case when the flow is from left to right and the cylinder is rotating in clockwise direction, you have ##\Gamma## negative and ##U## positive. This means ##\sin(\theta)## must be negative as well, meaning the stagnation points are in the lower half as you would expect.

Note that in this case ##U## is defined positive for flow from left to right (in the positive x direction). Older text apparently have the habit to define ##U## (or sometimes called ##V##) positive from right to left (so in the minus-x direction). Then the minus signs pop up in different places. This is where the confusion might come from.

Likes vanhees71 and Master1022

What is potential flow theory?

Potential flow theory is a mathematical model used to study the flow of fluids, such as air or water, over a surface. It assumes that the fluid is inviscid (has no internal friction) and incompressible (does not change density under flow). This theory is often used in aerodynamics and hydrodynamics to analyze the behavior of fluids in motion.

What is circulation in potential flow theory?

Circulation is a measure of the rotation of fluid particles around a closed path. In potential flow theory, circulation is a fundamental concept that describes the strength and direction of the flow around a body or airfoil. It is represented by the Greek letter gamma (γ) and is defined as the line integral of the fluid velocity around a closed curve.

What is the Kutta-Jukowski theorem?

The Kutta-Jukowski theorem is a fundamental principle in potential flow theory that relates the lift force on an airfoil to the circulation around it. It states that the lift force per unit span of an airfoil is equal to the product of the fluid density, the free-stream velocity, and the circulation around the airfoil. This theorem is essential in the design and analysis of airfoils and wings in aerodynamics.

How is the Kutta-Jukowski theorem derived?

The Kutta-Jukowski theorem can be derived using Bernoulli's equation and the conservation of mass for an inviscid, incompressible fluid. By applying these principles to a streamline around an airfoil, it can be shown that the circulation around the airfoil is directly proportional to the lift force. This relationship is known as the Kutta-Jukowski law and is the basis for the Kutta-Jukowski theorem.

What are the limitations of potential flow theory?

Potential flow theory is a simplified model that neglects the effects of viscosity and compressibility in fluids. Therefore, it is not suitable for studying real-world flows, such as turbulent flows or those with shock waves. Additionally, potential flow theory assumes that the fluid is two-dimensional and irrotational, which may not be accurate for some flow situations. It is essential to consider these limitations when applying potential flow theory to practical problems.