Surface waves and vorticity in 2D

In summary, the classical free surface profile for the solitary wave for irrotational and incompressible fluids can be described by the classical Korteweg-deVries (KdV) equation. Removing the irrotational aspect of the initial assumptions leads to the vorticity equation in 2D. Combining these two equations yields the full equation that can be approximated to a similar form as the KdV equation. However, there may be a discrepancy when assuming zero viscosity, as vorticity is conserved on a given streamline. There are also solutions to the vorticity equation without viscosity in 2D. Euler's equations do not contain viscosity, but they can contain vorticity.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
How do surface waves change in the presence of vorticity?
The classical free surface profile for the solitary wave for irrotational and incompressible fluids for small amplitude and long wavelength is the classical Korteweg-deVries(KdV) equation given by:[tex]\frac{\partial\eta}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial x}+\eta\frac{\partial\eta}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial^{3}\eta}{\partial x^{3}}=0[/tex]
I'm interested in removing the irrrotational aspect of the initial assumptions. The vorticity equation in 2D can be written as:[tex]\frac{D\omega}{Dt}=0,\quad\omega=\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex], ``Combining'' these two equations yields:[tex]\frac{D}{Dt}\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)=0[/tex]
The full equation is:[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+u\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+v\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)=0[/tex]
From here I can do the usual approximations to get a similar equation to the KdV? Where am I going wrong here?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I've not dived deep into your question but my impression is that vorticity can't propagate without viscosity in the medium. If you effectively are assuming zero viscosity then ... hmmm... I would have to deep dive to speculate further.

Likes vanhees71
That's not true actually. Euler equations (i.e. Navier-Stokes without viscosity) can also contain viscosity. But other than that I don't have an answer here.

jambaugh said:
I've not dived deep into your question but my impression is that vorticity can't propagate without viscosity in the medium. If you effectively are assuming zero viscosity then ... hmmm... I would have to deep dive to speculate further.
What you have is that on a given streamline, vorticity is conserved. There are plenty of vorticity solutions in 2D without viscosity.

Arjan82 said:
That's not true actually. Euler equations (i.e. Navier-Stokes without viscosity) can also contain viscosity. But other than that I don't have an answer here.
How can Euler's equations contain viscosity?

They don't. But they can contain vorticity (my bad.. I see the typo now...)

1. What are surface waves and vorticity in 2D?

Surface waves are oscillations that occur at the interface between two different media, such as air and water. Vorticity is a measure of the local rotation of a fluid. In 2D, this refers to the rotation of fluid particles in a plane, rather than in three dimensions.

2. How do surface waves and vorticity interact with each other?

Surface waves can generate vorticity through the transfer of momentum between fluid layers. Conversely, vorticity can also affect the propagation and behavior of surface waves.

3. What are the applications of studying surface waves and vorticity in 2D?

Understanding the dynamics of surface waves and vorticity is important in various fields such as oceanography, meteorology, and fluid mechanics. It can help in predicting and mitigating the effects of natural disasters like hurricanes and tsunamis.

4. How are surface waves and vorticity observed and measured?

Surface waves can be observed and measured using instruments such as wave buoys, radar, and satellites. Vorticity can be measured using techniques like laser-induced fluorescence and particle image velocimetry.

5. What are the current research topics related to surface waves and vorticity in 2D?

Some current research topics in this field include the interaction between surface waves and ocean currents, the effects of vorticity on wave breaking, and the development of numerical models to simulate these phenomena.