Fluid Mechanics: Constant Pressure and Incompressible flow

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the constant pressure assumption and the incompressible assumption in fluid flow. The speaker questions whether these assumptions can be used together and provides examples of equations that have caused confusion. Ultimately, it is determined that the book may have used the wrong formula in their explanation.
olski1
Assuming a flow can be idealised as incompressible, then can you use the constant pressure assumption ?

I just want to get my understanding clear. My problem is the following.Consider a fluid element with volume ##V## and a fixed number of molecules. If the flow is incompressible, then the volume of this element does not change. Right? (otherwise the density would change). Then if the volume does not change, and say you heated it through some process (Joule dissipation, Viscous Dissipation, Conduction etc), then the pressure would have to increase right? So hence, you cannot use the constant pressure assumption and the incompressible assumption at the same time?

The reason I am asking is because I am looking at some MHD temperature equation derivations. There is one step where the substantial derivative ##DP/DT## disappears, where ##P## is the pressure field. There is no reason given, but if it does, then there must be some assumption that the pressure field is atleast approximately constant in both space and time. But how can this be if the fluid is also considered incompressible?

Here is the equations that have confused me

[tex] \rho \frac{Dh}{Dt} = \frac{Dp}{Dt} + \rho \dot{q}_{rad} + \nabla \cdot (k \nabla T) + \frac{1}{\sigma}\mathbf{j}^2+ \mu \nabla^2 \mathbf{V}[/tex]

[tex]\rho c_p\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} + (\mathbf{V} \cdot \nabla)T\right) = \rho \dot{q}_{rad} + \nabla \cdot (k \nabla T) + \frac{1}{\sigma}\mathbf{j}^2+ \mu \nabla^2 \mathbf{V}[/tex]

Note that the LHS is just the definition of enthalpy substituted for ##h=c_pT## and the substantial derivative being expanded.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thermodynamically, for an incompressible fluid dh = CpdT + vdP = CpdT + dP/ρ

Chet

Likes olski1
Chestermiller said:
Thermodynamically, for an incompressible fluid dh = CpdT + vdP = CpdT + dP/ρ

Chet
...and that's the key...thanks Chester, so the book used the wrong formula.

olski1 said:
...and that's the key...thanks Chester, so the book used the wrong formula.
I'm not sure the book used the wrong formula. Did they actually say that dh = Cp dT? Both equations form the book look consistent with the equation I wrote down.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I'm not sure the book used the wrong formula. Did they actually say that dh = Cp dT? Both equations form the book look consistent with the equation I wrote down.

Chet
Yes, the book stated dh=cpdT bizarrely

olski1 said:
Yes, the book stated dh=cpdT bizarrely
Go figure. Even the experts make mistakes.

Chet

1. What is constant pressure in fluid mechanics?

Constant pressure in fluid mechanics refers to a state where the pressure remains the same at all points within a fluid, regardless of changes in velocity or position. This is often seen in systems where the fluid is acting under gravity or in cases of incompressible flow.

2. How does constant pressure affect fluid flow?

Constant pressure typically results in a laminar or smooth flow of fluid, as there are no changes in pressure to cause turbulence. It also allows for easier calculations and predictions of fluid behavior, as the pressure can be assumed to remain constant.

3. What is incompressible flow in fluid mechanics?

Incompressible flow refers to the behavior of a fluid where its density remains constant, regardless of changes in pressure or velocity. This is often seen in liquids, as their molecules are already tightly packed and cannot be compressed further.

4. How is incompressible flow different from compressible flow?

Incompressible flow is characterized by a constant density, while compressible flow involves changes in density due to variations in pressure or temperature. Incompressible flow is typically easier to analyze and predict, while compressible flow can be more complex and unpredictable.

5. What are some real-life applications of constant pressure and incompressible flow?

Some common applications of constant pressure and incompressible flow include the flow of water in pipes and channels, air flow over airplane wings, and the behavior of blood flow in the human body. These principles are also used in hydraulic systems, such as in car brakes and elevators, and in the design of turbines for power generation.