Register to reply

A quarterback can throw 60yd @ 45 degree angle. How fast can he throw?

by xcgirl
Tags: 60yd, angle, degree, quarterback, throw
Share this thread:
xcgirl
Feb23-11, 01:30 PM
P: 20
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

60 yds = 54.86 meters

3. The attempt at a solution

x-direction
d = vt
4.86 = vcos(45)(t)

y-direction
d = vt + 1/2at^2
d = vsin(45)t + 1/2(9.8)t^2

I want to solve for t in both equations, set them equal, and use that to solve for v but I don't know what to use for d in the y-direction equation. would it be zero because it ends up on the ground?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
gneill
Feb23-11, 02:07 PM
Mentor
P: 11,617
When the throw has been measured as having gone 60 yards, what does that mean? Is the ball still flying through the air?
xcgirl
Feb23-11, 02:11 PM
I think that it means that the ball is caught at the same height that it is thrown from, so its a net displacement in the y-direction is 0.

gneill
Feb23-11, 02:19 PM
Mentor
P: 11,617

Quote Quote by xcgirl View Post
I think that it means that the ball is caught at the same height that it is thrown from, so its a net displacement in the y-direction is 0.
Okay, so if you put that net y-displacement into your equation of motion for the y-direction, you should be able to solve for t in terms of the other variables in that equation.

Oh, and make sure that you account for the fact that the acceleration due to gravity is in the downward direction...
xcgirl
Feb23-11, 03:16 PM
thanks, i got it now!

Register to reply