How far must the quarterback throw the ball?

• Thread starter Crusaderking1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the football team at Enormous State University uses vector displacements to record plays and the quarterback must throw the ball a distance of approximately 38.0 yards in the direction 26.5 degrees to the right of downfield.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

At Enormous State University (ESU), the football team records its plays using vector displacements, with the origin taken to be the position of the ball before the play starts. In a certain pass play, the receiver starts at +2.0 {i} - 5.0 {j}, where the units are yards, {i} is to the right, and {j} is downfield. Subsequent displacements of the receiver are +9.0 {i}(in motion before the snap), +10 {j}(breaks downfield), - 6.0{i}+ 4.0 {j}(zigs), and +12.0{i} + 18.0 {j} (zags). Meanwhile, the quarterback has dropped straight back to a position - 7.0 {j}.How far must the quarterback throw the ball?

In which direction must the quarterback throw the ball?

Homework Equations

Probably Rx+Ry=R

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the diagram.

Do I have to use two triangles to figure this out, then add those vectors, or something? I would find the components but I don't have any angles to work with(that I know of).

Did you guys have the receiver end on coords (17,27) and the QB on coords(0,-7)?

(17)^2+(34)^2, then square root = 38.0 yards
tan-1 (34/17) = 90-63.43 = 26.5 degrees to right of downfield.

Is that right for yards. Doesn't seem right.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What's the question?

How far must the quarterback throw the ball?In which direction must the quarterback throw the ball?

Alright, I figure out this is correct.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the given information and the goal of the problem. From the given information, we can see that the receiver starts at a position of +2.0 {i} - 5.0 {j}, which means they are 2 yards to the right and 5 yards downfield from the origin (the position of the ball before the play starts). The subsequent displacements of the receiver show that they move in various directions before ending up at the coordinates (17, 27).

To determine how far the quarterback must throw the ball, we need to find the distance between the receiver's final position and the quarterback's position, which is -7.0 {j}. This can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (in this case, the distance between the two positions) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (in this case, the x and y components of the distance). So we can set up the equation as follows:

d^2 = (17 - 0)^2 + (27 - (-7))^2

where d is the distance between the receiver and the quarterback. Simplifying, we get:

d^2 = 17^2 + 34^2

d^2 = 289 + 1156

d^2 = 1445

d = √1445

d = 38.0 yards

So the quarterback must throw the ball a distance of 38.0 yards to reach the receiver's final position.

As for the direction in which the quarterback must throw the ball, we can use trigonometry to calculate the angle between the line connecting the receiver's final position and the quarterback's position and the downfield direction. We can use the tangent function to find this angle, which is defined as the opposite side (in this case, the distance between the two positions) divided by the adjacent side (in this case, the distance in the x direction between the two positions). So we can set up the equation as follows:

tanθ = (27 - (-7)) / (17 - 0)

tanθ = 34 / 17

θ = tan^-1 (34 / 17)

θ = 63.43 degrees

This means that the quarterback must throw the ball at an angle of 63.43 degrees to the right of the downfield

1. How far is the average distance a quarterback throws the ball?

The average distance a quarterback throws the ball is around 15-20 yards, but this can vary depending on the situation and the quarterback's skill level.

2. What is the longest distance a quarterback has ever thrown the ball in a game?

The longest distance a quarterback has ever thrown the ball in a game is 99 yards, achieved by multiple quarterbacks including Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Brett Favre.

3. What factors affect how far a quarterback can throw the ball?

Some factors that can affect how far a quarterback can throw the ball include their arm strength, technique, and the type of pass they are attempting (e.g. short pass, deep pass).

4. Is there a limit to how far a quarterback can throw the ball?

Technically, there is no official limit to how far a quarterback can throw the ball. However, the longest recorded throw in NFL history is 80 yards, so it is unlikely that a quarterback would be able to throw much further than that in a game situation.

5. How do quarterbacks train to improve their ability to throw the ball far?

Quarterbacks can train to improve their ability to throw the ball far through various exercises such as weight training to increase arm strength, practicing proper throwing mechanics, and working with coaches to improve their technique and accuracy.