What is the Maximum Height Achieved by a Soccer Ball Kicked at a 45° Angle?

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum height achieved by a soccer ball kicked at a 45° angle and in the air for 3 seconds. To solve this, the vertical and horizontal components were calculated using trigonometry, resulting in 2.2 for each side. The equation used to find the maximum height was incorrect, and after corrections were made using the correct equation, it was found that the initial velocity could be calculated by creating an unknown, v, and using the vertical displacement at time t and when the ball lands.
pennywise1234

Homework Statement

A soccer ball is kicked at a 45° angle. If the ball is in the air for 3 s, what is the maximum height achieved

Homework Equations

y=viy + 0.5 x ay x t

The Attempt at a Solution

i used trig to get the vertical and horizontal components i got 2.2 for each side (as there the same with a 45 degree angle)

i used y=0 + 0.5 x (-9.81) x (3s)

is this right ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
your equation is not correct.

i used y=0 + 0.5 x (-9.81) x (1.5s)Square root

is what i meant to put

I think you mean squared, not square root.

yes, sorry

pennywise1234 said:
i got 2.2 for each side
You got 2.2 what? You don't know the velocity, so how can you get the velocity components?
What does your y0 represent?

y=o represents initial velocity. but it is not known like you said, so that is how i was able to get 11.05 but setting initial to 0

The initial velocity cannot be 0. Otherwise, with gravity being the only accelerator the projectile would go down.

It's possible to calculate your initial velocity though, assuming the projectile lands on level ground. Can you modify your relationship above to help you find this?

pennywise1234 said:
y=o represents initial velocity. but it is not known like you said, so that is how i was able to get 11.05 but setting initial to 0
Setting it zero will get you nowhere. Create an unknown for it, v.
Your equation for y is suitable for a vertical displacement, not a vertical velocity. In terms of v, what would the vertical displacement be at time t? What is the vertical displacement when it lands?

I am trying to find displacement though

pennywise1234 said:
I am trying to find displacement though
You are asked to find, eventually, the vertical displacement from launch to the highest point. I asked you what the vertical displacement is from launch to where it lands.

What is the concept of "maximum height"?

The concept of maximum height refers to the highest point reached by an object when it is thrown or launched into the air. It is the point at which the object stops moving vertically and begins to fall back towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

How is maximum height calculated?

The maximum height of an object can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula applies to objects that are launched from the ground and experience uniform acceleration.

What factors affect the maximum height of an object?

The maximum height of an object is affected by its initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the maximum height.

How can the maximum height of an object be increased?

The maximum height of an object can be increased by increasing the initial velocity, launching the object at a higher angle, or reducing the force of gravity. However, these changes may also affect the trajectory and landing point of the object.

Why is finding maximum height important in scientific research?

Finding the maximum height of an object is important in scientific research as it can help in understanding the motion and behavior of objects in different situations. It also allows for the prediction and control of the trajectory and landing point of objects, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science.