Need to calculate the friction coefficient

In summary, the homework statement says that an object gains 2 m/s speed when slid down a slope of 45 degrees. The equation t = s/v is valid only if v is the average velocity that the object had while moving the distance s in time t. The 2 m/s is the instantaneous velocity of the object at the instant it has traveled the distance of 36.4 cm. Otherwise, I think your work looks good.
MisterP

Homework Statement

Hello. I have slope = 45 degrees, at distance 36.4cm (0.364m) object gains 2m/s speed. Need to calculate friction coefficient. Correct answer is ( 0,2). How to calculate?

Homework Equations

1) t = s/v "t" - time; "s" - distance "v" - speed
2) S = (a*t2)/2 "S" - distance; "a" - acceleration; "t" - time (found this formula)
3) a = g(sin "angle" - mi*cos "angle") "a"-acceleration; "g" - gravity constant (9.81), "angle" = 45 degrees; mi - coefficient I need to find!

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used formulas: 1) to calculate time t = s/v = 0.364/2 = 0.182s
2) then to calculate acceleration.. S = (a*t2)/2 =
0,364 = (a*0.1822)/2 = 5.15m/s2
3)then to calculate "mi" ; 5.15 = 9.81(sin "45o" - mi*cos "45o") =
5.15 = 6.92 - mi*6.92; mi = 0.25

Anything right here? :D English is not my native so, please, try to express yourself as easy as You can, thank You :)

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Please give a complete statement of the problem. For example, it is not clear if the object started at rest.

The equation t = s/v is valid only if v is the average velocity that the object had while moving the distance s in time t.
The 2 m/s is the instantaneous velocity of the object at the instant it has traveled the distance of 36.4 cm

Otherwise, I think your work looks good.

For constant acceleration, there is a nice formula that relates the final velocity to the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the distance traveled. If you have covered that formula, then you can use it to find the acceleration without needing to find the time t.

0,364 = (a*0.1822)/2 = 5.15m/s2
Certainly, 0.364 does not equal 5.15 m/s2. The second equals sign is not valid. I think you meant to say that you solved the first equality for the acceleration and that you got a = 5.15m/s2.

Last edited:
Work done by non conservative forces = change in mechanical energy.

I will write down that example and try my best to translate it:
Object is sliding down the slope, that is 45 degrees (to horizon). By sliding down 36.4 cm, object reaches speed - 2m/s. Calculate friction coefficient. Correct answer is 0.2

Last edited:
MisterP said:
I will write down that example and try my best to translate it:
Object is sliding down the slope, that is 45 degrees (to horizon). By sliding down 36.4 cm, object reaches speed - 2m/s. Calculate friction coefficient. Correct answer is 0.2
OK. I think you will get the correct answer if you find the correct time t. If the object starts at rest and has a final speed of 2 m/s, what is its average speed? Then, t can be found from distance = (average speed) x (time).

@neilparker62 has pointed out an entirely different approach to the problem which is nice, if you are familiar with energy and work concepts.

TSny said:
If the object starts at rest and has a final speed of 2 m/s, what is its average speed?
Unfortunately that approach requires one to assume constant acceleration, which is not given.
The work/energy method avoids that.

haruspex said:
Unfortunately that approach requires one to assume constant acceleration, which is not given.
The work/energy method avoids that.
True. Although it is not given that the acceleration is constant, the OP had already stated the correct formula for the acceleration. See relevant equation #3. So I assumed that the OP realized the acceleration is constant.

What if it is not meant to be as constant acceleration, any choices to solve that problem?

See post #3. In this case the "non conservative force" is friction.

Last edited:
Taking OP's equation 3 and replacing the canceled 'm' (mass of object):

$$ ma = mg(sinθ-μcosθ) $$
Replace a with ##\frac{{v_f}^2}{2Δx}## as suggested by TSny in post #2
$$ m{v_f}^2/(2Δx) = mgsinθ-μmgcosθ $$
$$ ½m{v_f}^2 = mgsinθΔx-μmgcosθΔx $$
Re-arrange: $$ -μmgcosθΔx = ½m{v_f}^2 - mgΔxsinθ $$
Hey presto: work done by non conservative forces = change in mechanical energy !

What is "Δx" and "ƒ" ?

MisterP said:
What is "Δx" and "ƒ" ?
Δx is the displacement (36,4 cm) and vf is 'final velocity' which is 2m/s in this problem.

Assuming that the object started at rest, calculate the net acceleration using v^2=u^2+2as.Now divide g into horizontal and vertical components. Take frictional force along the plane opposite to the direction of motion. Net acceleration a=g.cos 45°-f, where first is frictional retardation. Find f. To find coefficient of friction, divide f by g. sin 45°...obtained answer is 0.2

neilparker62 said:
Taking OP's equation 3 and replacing the canceled 'm' (mass of object):

$$ ma = mg(sinθ-μcosθ) $$
Replace a with ##\frac{{v_f}^2}{2Δx}## as suggested by TSny in post #2
$$ m{v_f}^2/(2Δx) = mgsinθ-μmgcosθ $$
$$ ½m{v_f}^2 = mgsinθΔx-μmgcosθΔx $$
Re-arrange: $$ -μmgcosθΔx = ½m{v_f}^2 - mgΔxsinθ $$
Hey presto: work done by non conservative forces = change in mechanical energy !
I tried to calculate and cannot get to coefficient: 0.2
-μ * 9.81 * √2/2* 0.364 = 1/2*2 - 9.81*0.364 * √2/2
I get μ = 0.6

Orion73 said:
Assuming that the object started at rest, calculate the net acceleration using v^2=u^2+2as.Now divide g into horizontal and vertical components. Take frictional force along the plane opposite to the direction of motion. Net acceleration a=g.cos 45°-f, where first is frictional retardation. Find f. To find coefficient of friction, divide f by g. sin 45°...obtained answer is 0.2

What do you mean : divide g into horizontal and vertical components?

MisterP said:
I tried to calculate and cannot get to coefficient: 0.2
-μ * 9.81 * √2/2* 0.364 = 1/2*2 - 9.81*0.364 * √2/2
I get μ = 0.6
-μ * 9.81 * √2/2* 0.364 = 1/2*2^2 - 9.81*0.364 * √2/2

Likes MisterP
neilparker62 said:
-μ * 9.81 * √2/2* 0.364 = 1/2*2^2 - 9.81*0.364 * √2/2
Yes, it works now, thank You :)

Could You tell me if there is any compilation table or something where I could find all formulas on basic physics ( mechanical, molecular, electrical etc)

Thank You, yes. :)

Likes sojsail

1. What is the formula for calculating friction coefficient?

The formula for calculating friction coefficient is:
μ = F/N
where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do I measure the force of friction?

The force of friction can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The object in question is attached to the scale or sensor and pulled at a constant velocity until it begins to move. The force reading at this point is the force of friction.

3. What factors affect the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is affected by several factors, including the surface roughness of the materials in contact, the amount of force applied, the type of material, and the presence of any lubricants.

4. Can the friction coefficient be negative?

No, the friction coefficient cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the resistance between two surfaces in contact.

5. How does the friction coefficient impact the motion of an object?

The friction coefficient plays a crucial role in determining the motion of an object. A higher coefficient of friction means there is a greater resistance to motion, while a lower coefficient allows for easier movement. In some cases, a low friction coefficient can even result in the object sliding or slipping.