Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln

• Thread starter phillyolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln Strange
In summary, the limit of (lnx)^2/x as x approaches infinity is equal to 0. This can be found by applying L'Hospital's rule twice or by recognizing the answer from the expansion of logarithm.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

lim(x→∞)(lnx)^2/x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since lim(x→∞)(lnx )^2=∞ and lim(x→∞)x=∞, the function is indeterminate, ∞/∞.

lim(x→∞)(lnx)^2/x=lim(x→∞) d/dx (lnx )^2/(d/dx x)=lim(x→∞)(2 lnx (1/x))/1

An I am stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
phillyolly said:

Homework Statement

lim(x→∞)(lnx)^2/x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since lim(x→∞)(lnx )^2=∞ and lim(x→∞)x=∞, the function is indeterminate, ∞/∞.

lim(x→∞)(lnx)^2/x=lim(x→∞) d/dx (lnx )^2/(d/dx x)=lim(x→∞)(2 lnx (1/x))/1

An I am stuck...

I think L'Hostpital's rule can be used very easily here. - just apply it again.

Alternatively, it's not hard to see the answer from the following expansion of logarithm.

[tex]{\rm ln}(x)=2\sum_{i=1}^\infty {{1}\over{2i-1}}\Bigl({{x-1}\over{x+1}}\Bigr)^{2i-1}[/tex]

With experience, you will recognize the answer to similar limits by inspection. Not many functions increase monotonically as slowly as logarithm. Granted, that's not a reliable, nor mathematically correct way to get the answer, but it helps to know the answer before you solve the problem.

This might be a higher-level answer. My answer should be looking much easier cause we don't work with i's and sums.

phillyolly said:
This might be a higher-level answer. My answer should be looking much easier cause we don't work with i's and sums.

OK, don't worry about that. Just take your first answer from L'Hospital's rule and put it in a simple numerator over denominator form. Then apply the rule again.

(2 lnx (1/x))/1 = 2(ln x)/x

Can you finish it from there?

Okay, so here it is:
lim(x→∞) (2 lnx)/x=
lim(x→∞)(d/dx lnx)/(d/dx x)=
lim(x→∞)(2 (1/x))/1=
lim(x→∞)(2/x)

Should I take a derivative again, or it's enough and 2/infinity equals zero?

You have it, the answer is 0. You can't use l'Hopital's rule again anyway since 2/x isn't indeterminate like the other expressions you had before.

I see it now, thank you very much.

Related to Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln

What is Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln?

Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln is a mathematical rule that can be used to evaluate limits involving logarithmic functions. It is an extension of the regular l'Hospital's Rule, which is used to evaluate limits involving fractions with indeterminate forms.

When is Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln used?

Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln is used when trying to evaluate a limit that involves a logarithmic function and results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is most commonly used in calculus and other advanced mathematical applications.

How does Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln work?

The rule states that if the limit of a function f(x) divided by a function g(x) results in an indeterminate form, then the limit of the natural logarithm of f(x) divided by the natural logarithm of g(x) will produce the same result. This allows for the use of basic algebraic manipulation to simplify the limit and evaluate it using regular l'Hospital's Rule.

What are the benefits of using Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln?

One benefit of using Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln is that it can be used to evaluate limits that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also allows for the simplification of complex limits, making them easier to solve.

Are there any limitations to Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln?

Yes, there are limitations to Strange l'Hospital's Rule with ln. It can only be used to evaluate limits involving logarithmic functions, and it may not always produce a valid result. It is important to check the assumptions and conditions of the rule before applying it to a limit.