1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with proving that Improper Integral is Divergent

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is attached in this post.

2. Relevant equations

The problem is attached in this post.

3. The attempt at a solution

Lim t -> ∞ ∫ dx/xlnx from 1 to t

u-substitution:

u=lnx
    du=1/x dx

Lim t -> ∞ ∫ 1/u du

Lim t -> ∞ ln u

Lim t -> ∞ ln(lnx) from 1 to t

Lim t -> ∞ ln(lnt) - ln(0)

= ∞ - ∞ = 0 (This is incorrect since the answer is that the integral is divergent).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##\ln(1) = 0##, not ##\infty##.

Anyway, never, ever use expressions of the form ##\infty - \infty##; these are meaningless and are illegal in mathematics.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    That's true but it's not ln(1), it's ln(ln(1)) which is ln(0), which is equal to ∞, right?

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, you're right. However, ##\int_a^b dx/(x \ln x) = \ln \ln b - \ln \ln a \to \infty + \infty## as ##a \to 1+## and ##b \to \infty##. As ##a \to 1+##, ##\ln a \to 0+## and so ##\ln \ln a \to -\infty##, or ##-\ln \ln a \to +\infty##.

6. Mar 6, 2014 #5
    Is there another way to prove that this integral is divergent? (For example, would the Direct Comparison Theorem work in this case?)

Also, why is ∞ + ∞ mathematically allowed, if ∞ - ∞ isn't?

7. Mar 6, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

∞ - ∞ is meaningless (along with 0/0, for example). ∞-∞ can be made equal to anything you want---anything from -∞ to +∞ and everything in between. However, ∞+∞ = +∞ is unambiguous. Think about it and you will understand why.

8. Mar 6, 2014 #7
    So ∞-∞ is an Indeterminate Form then right? So can I just L'Hopital's rule to solve for the limit instead of the other method that you showed in your previous post?

9. Mar 6, 2014 #8
    So by using L'Hopital's rule, could I take the derivative of ln(lnx) - ln(ln1) and then try solving for the limit etc.?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. Mar 6, 2014 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You keep missing the point: you do not have an indeterminate form, and do not need anything like l'Hospital's rule. I suggest you look much more carefully at what you are doing, and don't rush. Anyway, I already showed you a correct argument, but for some reason you are just not "getting" it.

11. Mar 6, 2014 #10
    Ok, I think I now understand your explanation, however would it also be possible to prove this integral is divergent via the Direct Comparison Test? And if it is possible, then how would I prove that the integral is divergent via the Direct Comparison Test?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted