Is it possible to skip precalc/trig? for calc

• Thread starter TheKracken
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about whether it is possible to skip precalc/trig and go straight to calculus. Some suggest that trigonometry is essential for calculus and that precalc/trig covers important topics such as conic sections and algebra operations. However, others argue that with some practice and understanding of the unit circle, it is possible to skip precalc/trig. It is recommended to review and practice with an AP calc prep/review book before starting the calculus class. If any concepts are difficult, additional resources can be used for support.
TheKracken
Is it possible to skip precalc/trig? for calc

Hey, I am in Algebra 2 right now, and I would like to start taking calculus if possible next year? Either I will take the AP Calc class at my high school or go to a local community college and take calc 1 first semester and then calc 2 second...(what would you recommend me doing?high school or college) Also do I need precalc/trig for calc? because I have heard a lot of people have skiped pre-calc...so just woundering how essential it is? or maby I could try to self teach myself some over the summer, and in that case, what is important for calc? thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

You need trigonometry to do calculus, going from algebra 2 to calculus would not be possible without knowledge in trig

what about pre-calc then? I can take a trig course over the summer f I wanted, so that's no problem, but what about pre calc? also what in trig is essential?

Woopy said:
You need trigonometry to do calculus, going from algebra 2 to calculus would not be possible without knowledge in trig

don't listen to this. you can def skip trig/precalc and go straight to calc. as long as you can use a unit circle, you should be fine with the trig. precalc spends weeks on the first thing you learn in calc1, so it's pretty much a big waste of time.

the best thing you can do for yourself imo is to get a calc1 demystified or this bob miller book [ https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070434085/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ], since they will do a comprehensive review of the algebra/trig you need, and then streamline the calc topics, enabling you to familiarize yourself with them in less time before starting the class.

You just need to be well versed in your unit circle, the various ways to manipulate sin and cos to get certain things. You need to know conic sections well from algebra 2 and be able to do algebra operations sufficiently. Seems to me that precalc was more or less like algebra 2 with the difficulty amped up a little bit, so I suppose it would be possible. The problem is most schools have college algebra and trig as one class so you can't really skip 1. What grade are you in, you might be getting a little ahead of yourself.

how can you say you don't need trig...taking derivatives of trig functions without understanding what they are is ludicrous.

I'm in grade 10, I am take Algebra 2, AP physics (algebra based) (AP is the first year college course of somthing) chemistry, astronomy and those are my math/sciences, could someone give me a little more detail of what I need to learn before hand specifically :)

Woopy said:
how can you say you don't need trig...taking derivatives of trig functions without understanding what they are is ludicrous.

just because you need an entire specialized course to be able to take the derivative of sin(x) doesn't mean that everyone else does. . .

TheKracken said:
I'm in grade 10, I am take Algebra 2, AP physics (algebra based) (AP is the first year college course of somthing) chemistry, astronomy and those are my math/sciences, could someone give me a little more detail of what I need to learn before hand specifically :)

get an AP calc book for the class you are taking (probably AP Calc AB) and see if you are comfortable with the material. . .

ok well point is one way or another he needs to know what sin and cos and tan (as well as their inverses) and be able to know what the graphs look like. Taking the derivative of sin x without knowing what sin even is just seems dumb. You should atleast have a full understanding of what those things mean. You can't even skip so its out of the question. Calculus classes have trig as a prerequisite anyway, so its not like you will be able to just skip it

Woopy said:
ok well point is one way or another he needs to know what sin and cos and tan (as well as their inverses) and be able to know what the graphs look like.

would literally take less than 5 mins to learn.

ya, its Calc AB, and I've looked through the book and the info doesn't seem to hard without a bit of practice, I just need to learn the concepts and such, and as for not being able to take Calc, my high school is allowing me to skip our pre calc/trig course and go straight to calculus, but I am thinking it would be a good idea to get some knolege of trig (I alredy understand unit circle and finding angels and side lengths of right triangles...but that is about it)

TheKracken said:
ya, its Calc AB, and I've looked through the book and the info doesn't seem to hard without a bit of practice, I just need to learn the concepts and such, and as for not being able to take Calc, my high school is allowing me to skip our pre calc/trig course and go straight to calculus, but I am thinking it would be a good idea to get some knolege of trig (I alredy understand unit circle and finding angels and side lengths of right triangles...but that is about it)

you'll be fine. just read / study / work problems from the ap calc prep/review book so that you will already be familiar with everything by the time the class rolls around. if you have an entire summer before the class starts, that would be ideal. you could probably cover the entire book in depth.

If i find a concept difficult do you know any resources I could use to suport the material in the book? because I ofton find a lot of my textbook show you step 1-5 (just and example) but they don't explain how they went from step 1 to 2 and so on

TheKracken said:
If i find a concept difficult do you know any resources I could use to suport the material in the book? because I ofton find a lot of my textbook show you step 1-5 (just and example) but they don't explain how they went from step 1 to 2 and so on

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3650128&postcount=4

schaum's manuals are usually good for practice problems, or any calculus text that is on cramster -- the solutions to the odd questions are freely available, and make a great resource to use for practice.

TheKracken said:
Hey, I am in Algebra 2 right now, and I would like to start taking calculus if possible next year? Either I will take the AP Calc class at my high school or go to a local community college and take calc 1 first semester and then calc 2 second...(what would you recommend me doing?high school or college) Also do I need precalc/trig for calc? because I have heard a lot of people have skiped pre-calc...so just woundering how essential it is? or maby I could try to self teach myself some over the summer, and in that case, what is important for calc? thank you for your help!
I consider precalculus = college algebra + trigonometry. Why is it important to rush into calculus? Not only is trig needed, but having strong algebra skills is a must. Some students struggle with calculus because they rushed into it at the expense of having a good algebra and trig background. At the very least, taking precalc will give you a chance to strengthen your algebra skills. (If your algebra skills are very strong, then maybe you'll won't have a problem.)

I think that much of the advice you are getting is terrible.

If your only goal is to pass Calc 1, sure, you can skip analytic geometry and trig and you might get by. If your goal is to actually learn something, you should take those classes. Math profs are irate over the trend to rush to calculus - because these students (despite their passing grades) are often unprepared for college-level math. Including a serious Calc course.

You can't skip trig and go to calculus because about 75% of the problems involve trig in calculus (at least in my class).. Also what's the rush, you'll have plenty of time to take calc, no need to rush and screw up your grades.

I did skip Precalc/Trig and went straight to Calc I. When I say "skip," I mean I never ever took Precalc/Trig classes before but I did self study them before taking Calc I. It worked for me but I had a lot of discipline to self study so it depends on the OP's case. In Calc I, we had some Trig stuff come up but mostly basic things. Calc 2 is where Trig becomes extremely important and if you don't know it by then it's going to be detrimental to your success.

I do fully agree with what Vanadium said. I saw some kids really struggle with Calc I and 2 because they didn't have solid basics down. Taking Precalc/Trig can only help you. If you get bored in those classes, then ask the teacher to give you some harder exercises or search for more challenging problems.

1. Is it really possible to skip precalc and trigonometry and go straight to calculus?

Yes, it is possible for some students to skip precalc and trigonometry and go straight to calculus. This depends on the student's prior knowledge and understanding of algebra and geometry, as well as their ability to learn new mathematical concepts quickly.

2. What are the potential benefits of skipping precalc and trigonometry for calculus?

The main benefit of skipping precalc and trigonometry for calculus is that it can save time and allow students to begin studying more advanced mathematical concepts earlier. It can also help students avoid repetition if they have already mastered the necessary skills for precalc and trigonometry.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to skipping precalc and trigonometry for calculus?

One potential drawback is that skipping precalc and trigonometry may leave some gaps in the student's understanding of mathematical concepts. These gaps may become problematic as they progress further in their math education. Additionally, students who skip precalc and trigonometry may not have a strong foundation in the skills and techniques needed for calculus.

4. How can I determine if I am ready to skip precalc and trigonometry for calculus?

If you are considering skipping precalc and trigonometry for calculus, it is important to assess your understanding of algebra and geometry. You should also take a look at the topics covered in precalc and trigonometry to see if you have a solid understanding of those concepts. It may also be helpful to speak with a math teacher or advisor for their input.

5. Are there any alternative options to skipping precalc and trigonometry for calculus?

If you are unsure about skipping precalc and trigonometry, there are alternative options you can explore. You could consider taking an accelerated precalc and trigonometry course, or seeking additional support and resources to help you prepare for calculus. Ultimately, the best option will depend on your individual learning style and abilities.