Taking linear algebra with calc 2

In summary, it may be difficult to schedule all of your remaining math courses at once, as there may be overlapping prerequisites. However, it is important to check with your school's requirements and consider doubling up on courses that complement each other, such as calc 2 and linear algebra. It is also recommended to take calc 3 and dif equations together as they are not necessarily rigorous classes on their own.
Forensics
How difficult will this be? I have 6 semesters left at CC and I need to take college algebra, precalc, calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, linear algebra, and dif equations.

So I have to have some overlap somewhere but I am not 100% sure. College Algebra is a prereq for precalc, which I have to take before calculus.

Should I double up when I am taking calc 1 or calc 2? All I have been told by the teachers I have talked to is that the calculus 2 and 3 classes are pretty heavy workloads.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formal pre-req for Linear Algebra at your school? At some schools you can not take it until you have completed calc 3. At my CC the class is called linear analysis and it is a combination of linear algebra and Dif. Equ. and the pre req is calc 2.

You should look it up before you decide.

One of them may be a "formal" prerequisite, but in my experience neither calc 2 nor calc 3 are really needed for a class in linear algebra. Perhaps the only reason they are prereqs is because they teach you how to think and follow logic.

These two courses complement each other well. You can use linear algebra when you are doing partial fractions in calc 2.

TheKracken said:
What is the formal pre-req for Linear Algebra at your school? At some schools you can not take it until you have completed calc 3. At my CC the class is called linear analysis and it is a combination of linear algebra and Dif. Equ. and the pre req is calc 2.

You should look it up before you decide.

Only calc 1 is a requirement for linear algebra.

Hercuflea said:
These two courses complement each other well. You can use linear algebra when you are doing partial fractions in calc 2.

Alright good to know, I wanted to double up calc 2 with linear algebra so I could take calc 3 alone then dif equations alone. (Alone as in no other math classes with them)

I would suggest taking calc 3 and diff eq at the same time. They shouldn't be rigorous in their own right to warrant having to take them alone

1. What is the benefit of taking linear algebra with calc 2?

Taking linear algebra with calc 2 provides a strong foundation in both calculus and linear algebra, which are essential skills for many scientific and mathematical fields. Additionally, taking these courses together allows for a deeper understanding of the connections between the two subjects.

2. Is it necessary to take linear algebra before calc 2?

No, it is not necessary to take linear algebra before calc 2. However, having a background in linear algebra can be helpful in understanding certain concepts in calc 2, such as vector calculus and systems of equations.

3. What topics are covered in linear algebra with calc 2?

The topics covered in linear algebra with calc 2 can vary, but generally include matrices, systems of linear equations, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications of these concepts to calculus.

4. Is linear algebra with calc 2 a difficult course?

This can vary depending on the individual and the professor, but in general, linear algebra with calc 2 can be challenging due to the abstract nature of linear algebra concepts and the complex calculations involved in calculus. However, with dedication and effort, it can be a rewarding and manageable course.

5. What are some tips for success in linear algebra with calc 2?

Some tips for success in linear algebra with calc 2 include staying organized, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and making connections between linear algebra and calculus concepts. It can also be helpful to review precalculus and algebra skills before starting the course.