Which (elementary mathematics) constant is the most badd-ass?

In summary, the poll has three choices for a mathematical constant, but when the user tries to click on the latex form to enter their choice, they get the same two choices as were previewed previously.

Best constant

• e

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • i

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [tex]\pi[/tex]

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • [tex]\phi[/tex]

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The Parabolic Constant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Euler–Mascheroni constant [tex]\gamma[/tex]

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
futurebird
I know physics has a lot of great constants, but someone else will need to make that poll, I'm not the one!

1. [tex]\pi[/tex] (pi)
2. i
3. [tex]\phi[/tex] (phi)
4. The Parabolic Constant
5. Euler–Mascheroni constant [tex]\gamma[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how #3 is a constant; and #6, too, unless theta is some other constant.

Oh, BTW, we also need an option for "I don't have a favourite constant./There is no "best" constant."

what about 1 or 0?

?? wtf. #3 is from a calculus question I asked a while ago?? I'm confused, what's happening. why is it a constant now? aaah!

what about pi? it's most definitely the most badass. c'mon. everyone knows it, there's even a movie about it, not to mention a euphemism, it's everywhere!

what, so now that pi is big no one likes it anymore? too popular? ... indie kids today...

Last edited:
I can't decide between e or pi, so I choose both combined as a new constant:

pie = 8.54

and remember, pie is always rounded.

hm... I think there is something wrong with my tex then. because on 3 and 4 I don't see pi, I see a function and its derivative (f(x)=1/30(sqrt)x^2... etc) that I remember posting a while ago... (this should explain what I can only assume seems like a nonsensical comment from my part).

and on 6 I see a question mark after the words.

I'm on a mac. is anyone else getting something weird on the poll parts that are tex? (tex that is part of a message doesn't seem to be affected)

I'm getting weird stuff as well, moe!

I reckon phi's probably the best constant. Of course, I have not got a clue what it stands for!

Change is the only constant.

Wow, the TeX on the poll seems to be completely messed up, I've got charge densities and wavefunctions!

We should have a poll on how many folks actually see the intended TeX in the above poll options. I wonder what you'd see if you have never TeXed here...

cristo said:
I reckon phi's probably the best constant. Of course, I have not got a clue what it stands for!
The Euler Phi (Totient) function! It's one of my favorites :wink:

Nah, I think the OP is referring to the waaay overhyped "Golden Ratio"; the solution to the quadratic 1-x = 1/x

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
The Euler Phi (Totient) function! It's one of my favorites :wink:

Nah, I think the OP is referring to the waaay overhyped "Golden Ratio"; the solution to the quadratic 1-x = 1/x

You got it. I agree it's over-hyped. It's not even trancendental.

Nobody knows if gama is trancendental... or even rational! So that's why I think it is the most awsome.

I really sorry that no one can read my poll. I'm under self-enforced house arrest studying for my complex analysis midterm and I just wanted to do something amusing...

fourier jr said:
what about 1 or 0?

These are way too important to compete with the others. They need their own binary poll.

moe darklight said:
what about pi? it's most definitely the most badass. c'mon. everyone knows it, there's even a movie about it

actually yeah no other constant has made anyone drill a hole into their head like pi did in that movie...

but then 0 eats any other constant. hard to decide :tongue2:

Gokul43201 said:
Wow, the TeX on the poll seems to be completely messed up, I've got charge densities and wavefunctions!

We should have a poll on how many folks actually see the intended TeX in the above poll options. I wonder what you'd see if you have never TeXed here...
I get something completely different on the poll.

Rather than \pi and \phi, the third one is a problem from the inverse Compton effect homework problem (posted by loop quantum gravity) and the fourth selection is a PDE. But when I click on the Latex form I get the \pi and \phi in the window!

This is the third entry of the poll as I see it on my PC's.

[tex]E=\frac{E_0(1+\frac{v}{c})}{\frac{1}{\gamma}+\frac{E_0(1+\frac{v}{c})}{m_0c^2}}[/tex]

the fourth is [tex] \frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x}}\,+\,\frac{\partial{f(y)}}{\partial{y}}\,+\,\frac{\partial{f(-2z)}}{\partial{z}}[/tex], but the bottom partials are cutoff.

Both are homework problems I have worked on with other members. The one on the Compton effect was not even posted.

Last edited:
Hmm..I got the transformation laws from Cartesian to polar coordinates..

Gokul explained it in the LaTeX gone wild! thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=190831

Each of us sees LaTeX which we have previewed (so the image is unique to each viewer), but not necessarily posted, and it's probably the last two which were previewed at the time the poll was constructed.

So the pointers are pointing to some png file stored somewhere on PF.
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/preview15685-0.png
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/preview15685-1.png

I can see the actual content of choices 3 and 4, which are \pi and \phi, respectively, but the images are from what I previewed previously.

I cannot see the \gamma image. I get https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/preview15685-2.png

So the pointers are going to the last three previews. 15685 is my PF userid number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I see the '69' integral as the third option.

Pi! It's just so classic. :)

Now I see the most recent LaTeX images which I previewed this morning, the pointers go to the latest previewed LateX files.

[edit] Just fixed the images I see in the poll by previewing \pi, \phi and \gamma.

Interesting.

Last edited:
BobG said:
I can't decide between e or pi, so I choose both combined as a new constant:

pie = 8.54

and remember, pie is always rounded.

This get my vote :)

1. Which elementary mathematics constant is considered the most badd-ass?

The most commonly accepted answer to this question is the mathematical constant known as pi (π). Pi is a transcendental number that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and it has been studied and used in mathematics for thousands of years. Its infinite and non-repeating decimal expansion has fascinated mathematicians and non-mathematicians alike.

2. How is pi (π) calculated?

Pi cannot be calculated exactly, as it is an irrational number. However, it is commonly approximated to 3.14159 or 22/7. It can also be calculated using various mathematical formulas, such as the Leibniz formula or the Gregory-Leibniz series, which use infinite series to approximate pi.

3. Why is pi (π) considered the most badd-ass constant?

Pi is considered the most badd-ass constant because of its many remarkable properties and applications in mathematics and other fields. It is used in geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and other branches of mathematics, as well as in physics, engineering, and even music and art. It has also been studied and celebrated by many famous mathematicians, including Archimedes, Isaac Newton, and Albert Einstein.

4. Are there other constants that could be considered badd-ass?

Yes, there are many other important mathematical constants, such as e (Euler's number), phi (the golden ratio), and i (the imaginary unit). Each of these constants has its own unique properties and applications, and they are all considered fundamental in various areas of mathematics.

5. Can pi (π) be changed or manipulated?

No, pi (π) is a fixed, unchanging constant. Its value cannot be changed or influenced by any external factors. However, mathematicians have discovered ways to manipulate and play with pi, such as using various mathematical operations to create patterns and sequences of digits within its decimal expansion.