Improper integrals and Infinite Series

In summary, there is no relationship between the convergence or divergence of a series and the integral of its corresponding function, even for non-negative terms and without requiring the function to be decreasing. Examples can be constructed where the series converges but the integral diverges, or vice versa. This phenomenon is not immediately obvious and requires careful consideration of specific functions.
estro
Supose [tex] a_n=f(n) [/tex]
What is the relationship between convergence or divergence of:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n[/tex] and [tex] \int_{1}^{\infty}f(x)dx[/tex] ?

Besides the integral test (which only works for special cases).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
estro said:
Supose [tex] a_n=f(n) [/tex]
What is the relationship between convergence or divergence of:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n[/tex] and [tex] \int_{1}^{\infty}f(x)dx[/tex] ?

Besides the integral test (which only works for special cases).

There is no relation between the two, even for nonnegative an if you don't require f(x) to be decreasing. That is, you can have the series converge and the integral diverge or the series diverge and the integral converge.

LCKurtz said:
There is no relation between the two, even for nonnegative an if you don't require f(x) to be decreasing. That is, you can have the series converge and the integral diverge or the series diverge and the integral converge.

But why? What is the theory/intuition behind this?

I'm not sure what you mean by "why?". That's just the way it is.

Have you tried to construct an example where the series converges but the integral doesn't. Or the other way around?

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {2-sin(n)}{n} [/tex] is convergent while

[tex] \int_{n=1}^\infty \frac {2-sin(n)}{n}dn[/tex] is divergent.

In vice versa I can only think about alternating function

[tex] \int_{n=1}^\infty sin(n^2)dn [/tex] is convergent while

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty sin(n^2) [/tex] is divergent.

But I can't think of positive function.

Man, you are making this much more difficult than it is.

estro said:
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {2-sin(n)}{n} [/tex] is convergent while

Is that obvious?

[tex] \int_{n=1}^\infty \frac {2-sin(n)}{n}dn[/tex] is divergent.

In vice versa I can only think about alternating function

[tex] \int_{n=1}^\infty sin(n^2)dn [/tex] is convergent

Is that obvious? Is it even true?

while

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty sin(n^2) [/tex] is divergent.

But I can't think of positive function.

How about something easier like this -- suppose an= 0 for all n so the series obviously converges. Now can you build an f(x) such that f(n) = 0 for integers n but whose area under the curve goes to infinity? Once you do that then start thinking about the other way.

Hey Estro, I keep getting email notification that you have posted a new reply in this thread and when I click on the link to view it, it isn't there. I suppose you are deleting the posts later after you post them. Personally, I find that very annoying and it makes it very difficult to assist you or even to want to.

LCKurtz said:
Hey Estro, I keep getting email notification that you have posted a new reply in this thread and when I click on the link to view it, it isn't there. I suppose you are deleting the posts later after you post them. Personally, I find that very annoying and it makes it very difficult to assist you or even to want to.

I'm sorry, but I think I've posted in the wrong topic.
I reformulated my question in a new topic.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=408533

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is a type of definite integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is unbounded at one or more points within the interval of integration. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated using traditional methods and requires a different approach.

2. How do you determine if an improper integral converges or diverges?

To determine if an improper integral converges or diverges, one must evaluate the limit of the integral as the upper or lower limit approaches infinity or negative infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, then the integral converges. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the integral diverges.

3. What is the comparison test for infinite series?

The comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series in question to a known series with known convergence or divergence. If the known series converges and the series in question is smaller than the known series, then the series in question also converges. If the known series diverges and the series in question is larger than the known series, then the series in question also diverges.

4. Can improper integrals and infinite series be used to approximate functions?

Yes, improper integrals and infinite series can be used to approximate functions. This is known as numerical integration or numerical series. By breaking down the function into smaller intervals or terms, and then taking the limit as the number of intervals or terms approaches infinity, a more accurate approximation of the function can be obtained.

5. Are there any real-world applications of improper integrals and infinite series?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of improper integrals and infinite series. These include calculating areas and volumes of irregular objects, calculating probabilities in statistics and probability theory, and modeling physical or natural phenomena such as population growth or radioactive decay.