Solve Two Limits Questions: Find Limits Using Limit Laws

• Thread starter jack1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses two mathematical questions involving limits. The first question has an indeterminate form of type ∞ - ∞ and the second has an indeterminate form of type 0/0. The suggested method to solve the first question is to multiply by the conjugate, while the second question can be solved using L'Hospital's rule or by breaking the absolute value. The conversation also includes an alternative method for solving the second question by breaking the absolute value and taking into account the sign of x. The output of the conversation includes a link to the solutions for both questions and a congratulatory message for the correct answers.
jack1234
Hi, I have think of the followed two questions quite a long time,

a)
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0+} (\sqrt{\frac{3}{x}+\frac{4}{x^2}+5} - \sqrt{\frac{2}{x}+\frac{4}{x^2}+6})[/tex]

b)
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 2} (\frac{|x-3|-|3x-5|}{x^2-5x+6}) [/tex]

How to solve this two questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far to solve the problems ?

1) Multiplying by the conjugate would help.
2) Try breaking the mudulus signs,

a) is an indeterminate form of the type [itex]\infty - \infty[/itex]

"indeterminate form" means you cannot conclude to the value of the limit. It could be anything. So you have to put it under a different form, where you can conclude. What have you tried

b) This is an indeterminate form of the type 0/0. you can apply l'Hospital.

Forget what I said for b). arunbg's advice is much better.

mutlipliying, as it stands by the conjugate won't help, since the conjugate is also not defined. First try pulling out a 1/x^2, and then try using the difference of two squares thing.

Hi,

My answer is here:
a)
http://www.geocities.com/myjunkmail31/Limit1.jpg
b)
http://www.geocities.com/myjunkmail31/Limit2.jpg
is it correct?(Thanks for the hint=))

Another way, if the question is
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0-} (\sqrt{\frac{3}{x}+\frac{4}{x^2}+5} - \sqrt{\frac{2}{x}+\frac{4}{x^2}+6})[/tex]
PS:Original question is 0+, here is 0-

From the computer generated graph, it seems to have a negative value, but how I get it?
Since using the method here
http://www.geocities.com/myjunkmail31/Limit2.jpg
No matter it is 0+ or 0-, I will always get 1/4.

Both of your answers look fine to me. :smile: Congratulations.
However, the b limit can be also solved by breaking the absolute value, something like this:
Since we have:
[tex]|A| = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} A, & \mbox{if A} \geq 0 \\ -A, & \mbox{if A} < 0 \end{arrray} \right.[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2} x - 3 = -1 < 0[/tex], and [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2} 3x - 5 = 1 > 0[/tex]. So, we have:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2} \frac{|x - 3| - |3x - 5|}{x ^ 2 - 5x + 6} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 2} \frac{(3 - x) - (3x - 5)}{(x - 2)(x - 3)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 2} \frac{-4x + 8}{(x - 2)(x - 3)} = -4 \lim_{x \rightarrow 2} \frac{x - 2}{(x - 2)(x - 3)} = -4 \lim_{x \rightarrow 2} \frac{1}{(x - 3)} = (-4) (-1) = 4[/tex]
---------------------
For your third question, it's a one-sided limit, and x tends to 0 from the negative side; i.e, x should be negative, right?
And, so in the first line, we have:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ -} \sqrt{\frac{3}{x} + \frac{4}{x ^ 2} + 5} - \sqrt{\frac{2}{x} + \frac{4}{x ^ 2} + 6} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ -} \sqrt{\frac{1}{x ^ 2}} \times (\sqrt{5x ^ 2 + 3x + 4} - \sqrt{6x ^ 2 + 2x + 4}) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ -} \left| \frac{1}{x} \right| \times (\sqrt{5x ^ 2 + 3x + 4} - \sqrt{6x ^ 2 + 2x + 4})[/tex]
Since x < 0, breaking the absolute value, we have:
[tex]= - \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ -} \frac{1}{x} \times (\sqrt{5x ^ 2 + 3x + 4} - \sqrt{6x ^ 2 + 2x + 4}) = ...[/tex], and from here, you can just do exactly what you did in a.
Can you get this? :)

Last edited:

1. What are limit laws?

Limit laws are a set of rules or properties that allow us to solve limits algebraically. They include properties such as the sum law, difference law, product law, quotient law, and power law.

2. How do I use limit laws to solve limits?

To solve a limit using limit laws, you first need to identify which property is applicable to the given limit. Then, you can apply the corresponding rule to simplify the expression and find the limit.

3. What is the difference between the sum law and the difference law?

The sum law states that the limit of the sum of two functions is equal to the sum of their individual limits. On the other hand, the difference law states that the limit of the difference of two functions is equal to the difference of their individual limits.

4. Can limit laws be used to solve all types of limits?

No, limit laws can only be used for algebraic limits. They cannot be applied to limits involving trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using limit laws to solve limits?

Yes, limit laws can only be used when the limit exists and when the expressions involved are continuous. Also, in some cases, applying limit laws may not give the correct answer, so it is important to check for other methods of solving limits as well.