Where is Selfadjoint? Answers to Your Questions

• Thread starter Ratzinger
  • Start date
In summary, SA selfadjoint, a mentor on PF, passed away last week. He was originally from Wisconsin, but was living in Florida at the time of his death. He was married and had a daughter. Members are encouraged to share thoughts and memories about selfadjoint on the memorial page he has created for him.
Ratzinger
Does anybody know?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume he takes a rest in some functional analysis book...

Alas, we don't know where he is. His last message in the Mentor's Private Forum said that he would be away until 12/12/06. :frown:

True, we really don't know and have been quite concerned over this. If anybody else has any contact with him outside of PF, we'd appreciate hearing from them if they have any idea what has happened. We're honestly dreading the worst. :frown:

Moonbear said:
We're honestly dreading the worst. :frown:

Was he suffering from some illness or something along those lines?

He was elderly and his wife had already passed away.

Moonbear said:
True, we really don't know and have been quite concerned over this. If anybody else has any contact with him outside of PF, we'd appreciate hearing from them if they have any idea what has happened. We're honestly dreading the worst. :frown:

I'd apreciate it. I hope to hear from him soon.

It may be a good idea to have all the mentors share their contact information with each other. That'd be good for networking, too.

z-component said:
It may be a good idea to have all the mentors share their contact information with each other. That'd be good for networking, too.

What if someone didn't want that information shared?

You have PF, and you have your personal things. The Mentors have to keep them separate whenever appropriate.

It's, of course, their right to not provide personal information. I guess it depends on if you consider the mentor team a group of colleagues.

Likes gracy
A number of the mentors have shared contact information as well as a backup to contact, should we disappear.

Yes, many of us have shared contact information with one another. We just didn't all think of it before realizing we didn't know how to contact SA when he stopped posting.

Of course, it's more noticeable when a mentor disappears, but many members just disappear and we don't know what happens to them, and never have a way to track them down to inquire into their well being. All the more reason to bring a buddy to PF who can tell us you're okay if we lose track of you. :wink:

Moonbear said:
many members just disappear and we don't know what happens to them
Really

:wink:

I really hope and want to believe that SA is doing well. :approve:

I've been wondering about him for some time now. He is the one who introduced me to PF back when he posted to the Superstringtheory.com site when it was up.

I think he lives in Wisconsin. Would there be a way to locate him with some kind of internet phone search? He went by DickT on the superstringtheory site.

I really hope he's okay. His wife (Mary) passed about 3 years ago I think.

Hello everyone...

It is with my deepest regret that I must inform you all of the very sad news we received this morning. selfAdjoint passed away on the 10th of December, 2006, apparently while on vacation in Florida with his family. We know very little else about the circumstances, yet are hoping will we eventually learn that he spent his last days happily with his family.

His passing is certainly a terrible loss for his family, friends, and PF too. We are planning to compose a special memorial page for him to be hosted here on PF. At this time, we welcome you all to contribute a quote, a link to a favorite thread, or a message of gratitude. We will assemble these kind words into a permanent memorial recognizing our appreciation of his friendship, guidance, and generosity.

May he rest in peace. We will all miss him dearly.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add to chroot's comments, on behalf of all the PF staff, thank you to the members who were prompted by this thread to help us locate and confirm this information.

This is certainly sad news.

Likes gracy
Horrible news, I hope he went peacefully.

This is horrible news...The memorial page is definitely a wonderful idea.

I'd like to thank robphy for his efforts in our search for selfadjoint. It was he that found the confirming information and passed it on to us earlier today.

This is so sad :frown:. Rest in peace, SA. You, certainly, will be missed.

Last edited:
That is to bad, sad news :( The memorial page is a nice idea.

I'll miss sA. He was truly a wise and calming presence.

Rest in Peace selfAdjoint.

May you find your answers.

He was a fantastic guy, its sad to see him go.

I am sad to hear this, but it is comforting to know that he spent his last days with his family. Hope he and his daughter got to have one last steak dinner together. He once mentioned how much he enjoyed that.

As dlgoff mentioned, SA's wife of 34 yrs, Mary Ann died over 3 years ago. I hope he and Mary Ann are together again.

I am pleased that he was with family, but I feel a terrible loss for them and us. :cry:

That's terrible news!

His enthusiasm in discussions here was inspiring. He will surely be missed.

This is very sad news indeed. He will certainly be missed.

So sad to get this news, I suspected it would take this much to keep him away from his beloved Physics Forums. Rest in peace Dick.

It is very sad to hear selfAdjoint has passed away.
SA was actually the first one replying to my very first post here three years ago: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=14851 , and I have learned so much from him since then. He will truly be missed.
Rest in peace selfAdjoint.

Rest in peace, SelfAdjoint.

I'm also sad.

SelfAdjoint was my hero.

Rest in peace good man.

He'll be missed :( I hope his family are ok.

I’m so sad to hear this, I shall miss him.
It is a great loss, and his family and friends have my deepest sympathy.
It is comforting to know he was with his family, and to hope this great man has been reunited with his wife, in peace.

Great loss for everybody, indeed. He'll be missed.